1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Pads Worn - How long?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by imported_Strider81, Sep 20, 2005.

1. imported_Strider81

imported_Strider81 Guest

[Sep 20, 2005]
    Hi

Just had brake pad warning light

how long have i got till they have to be replaced

how much do they usually cost.

sorry for novice questions- as u all know im still a learner!

thanks in advance
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. LeeW

LeeW Member

[Sep 20, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    how long have i got till they have to be replaced

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how you drive i.e how often and how hard you brake. I'd say if the warning light is on now then don't wait around just get them changed. If the light has recently come on theres no panic but you run the risk of damaging (lipping) the disks if you leave it too long.

[ QUOTE ]
    how much do they usually cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again this depends on what model you have and if you want standard pads etc. As a guide I have an A3 1.6se with bog standard pads and disks and changed the rears a few months ago which cost:- Pads £12.10 - Disks £15.86 each (you won't know if you'll need disks until you inspect them). Then theres the labour costs on top unless you do them yourself which is pretty easy as long as you have the special tool to wind in the calipers (costs around £15).
  4. imported_Strider81

imported_Strider81 Guest

[Sep 20, 2005]
    cheers for the reply mate

got em done for 70 all in.
  5. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

[Sep 20, 2005]
    I was advised no more than 1000 miles when mine went off. It is worth taking a wheel off and checking, though, as the sensors can be faulty as well.