Brake Pads - Advice Needed

Arrkon

Back in a "B"
Staff member
Regional Rep
Reaction score
what are the best, Sensibly Priced, brake pads to use with drilled/grooved discs? Ideally with as little dust as possible.

When I say "sensibly" I mean, around the £30 mark, not the EBC Green £80...

I use mintex red box with grooved and drilled have no probs £25 quid through work from andrew pages.

Little dust and stop a treat even when im giving it some.

Pagid from Euros probably. Good for the money and Pagid make OEM brakes for the likes of Audi and Porsche as an example of reputation. Ideally you dont want drilled discs at all though as its common knowledge they crack with heat.

Ideally you dont want drilled discs at all though as its common knowledge they crack with heat.

Yeah, i have heard this, but then i have seen ones that have been run for a couple of years with no cracking. Bradderz, have you had any issues?

No not yet only been on for 2 months and they seam to keep the pads cool as well very noticable differance to the old brakes but they were 288mm now im running 312mm so could be the braking force differance.

I run mintex redbox on the avant along with 312's but i'm not that impressed with them TBH. Not sure if its the disks or what, but they're a bit crap. My own car has 288's and some unknown pads and seems far more "bitey"

I plan to replace them with Ferodo Premiers, as they seem to get a good write up by the S/RS folks.

yer them discs some times crack, but its becasue people dont put them though proper heat cycles and expect them to stop them with 100% effecency from 70/80mph straight away. i had drilled discs on my 325i e36 and i went though heat cycling ie, braking lightly from 30mph 2/3 times then a bit harder from same speed, and then a long distance braking break in cycle from 70, say over 1/8th mile.

always bed in my brakes like this and never had problems. and infact find they then brake alot harder then if you just let them bed in nataurally. thing is i hate new brakes but its a must when they are needed to be changed, i do this becasue i hate the thought in the bed in period im going to really need my brakes and not have any response and they glaze up.

if you want cool running brakes just by ebc turbo groove discs, i know there expensive but there worth the cash lay out

No its because they`re drilled after the casting process. If they were cast with the holes like Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo and so on drilled discs are then the problem wouldnt appear. Grooves are also there to dispurse the build up of brake dust not aid cooling. Thats what the drilled holes are supposed to be for but really you dont need drilled/grooved discs. Even on a track car a set of blank discs are fine.

Well yeah the bedding in process is important so fitted them and jumping on the brakes straight away will kill them but still the main culprit is the manufacturing process. A drilled disc is just a normal blank disc pulled off the shelf and had a drill taken to it.

thats good to know oranoco, im about to buy these, for the rear
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

and then go for the slotted ones with yellow stuff for the front,

or should i get these ones

FRONT BREMBO MAX BRAKE DISCS AUDI A4 Avant 1.8 T quattro 147BHP [96->01] | eBay

few £ cheaper then your link

FRONT BREMBO MAX BRAKE DISCS AUDI A4 Avant 1.8 T quattro 147BHP [96->01] | eBay

so brembo max discs with yellow stuff on the front ~(iirc there the ones with cold grab and med/long life, as green are short life again iirc)
and brembo discs with brembo pads
again with yellow stuff pads. and brembo pads on vackback

Personally I will never use an EBC product again after the issues I've seen with their Greenstuff pads. Shop about and see what you can do. I ordered mine from the link I posted at 3pm and by 10am they were in reception in my office

A disk is a disk. Theres no point IMO spending stupid amounts of money on fancy drilled/grooved disks when its the pads that make all the difference.

Standard motorfactors disks, and good pads are all you need. If you want to waste money on disks, then forget off the shell drilled/grooved tat, and get some alloy hats and floating rotors made to fit your setup.

Given the budget of "around 30quid" then obviously any "performance" pad is not in the running. However given your talking about wasting money on disks, i'd suggest that instead you fit standard disks and some decent pads.

DS2500's are a popular option for fast road, but also worth looking at are Mintex M1144 as they're quite a bit cheaper.

No, but the original poster said £30!

and yep, just whatever plain disks you fancy, I use mintex or whatever my local factors happens to stock.

The ebay link looks about right to me.

Personally though, i'd try to run the same pads front and back.

that link. is there not ment to be pad pad wear indicators, dosnt show them on there, i pursume being brembo there come as per oem specs regarding the pad wear indicators.

thats strange, as i have low pad warning light but fronts are ok, maybe one side is lower then the ot side, not looked properly, but going to do back and front all at the same time.

ok so going for these now, checked compatibly and says it fits

This item fits 2 version of the Audi A4 1999 8D2,B5 [1995-2000] Saloon 1.8 T quattro :
Please check if your vehicle is in the list and if there is no restriction for your vehicle in the notes field.[show all compatible vehicles]

NotesMakeModelYearVariantBodystyleTypeEngine
AudiA419998D2,B5 [1995-2000] SaloonSaloon1.8 T quattro1781ccm 180HP 132KW (Petrol)
AudiA419998D2,B5 [1995-2000] SaloonSaloon1.8 T quattro1781ccm 150HP 110KW (Petrol)
Eicher Rear Brake Disc for VW Passat / Audi A4 | eBay

and brembo pads

This item fits 1 version of the Audi A4 1999 8D2,B5 [1995-2000] Saloon 1.8 T quattro :
Please check if your vehicle is in the list and if there is no restriction for your vehicle in the notes field.[show all compatible vehicles]

Notes
Important part details
MakeModelYearVariantBodystyleTypeEngine
8D-X-200001->. PR:1K...

AudiA419998D2,B5 [1995-2000] SaloonSaloon1.8 T quattro1781ccm 180HP 132KW (Petrol)

Audi A4 (8D2. B5) 1.8 T quattro Brembo Rear Brake Pads 12/97-11/00 | eBay

as this is my first audi, and being a quattro, i want it to be right first time, and i know you lot here are well up on what bits are correct etc. thanks

thats strange, as i have low pad warning light but fronts are ok, maybe one side is lower then the ot side, not looked properly, but going to do back and front all at the same time.

If it's the same as the Golf the sensor is only on the inner n/s pad. Check the sensor wire is still attached and the condition of this pad as it's feasible for the pads to wear unevenly as the sliders are often neglected