1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

brake pad warning light

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by avanted, Aug 29, 2008.

1. avanted

avanted New Member

had the light come on occasionally so checked out the front pads,(told by an audi dealer light not connected to rears,-,strange) no wear issues with front pads,
    before i undertake a major investigation, anyone know of any common answers to this annoying fault.

thanks in advance

A6 avant:greyrs4:
  2. enda1

enda1 Member

It could be that there is corrosion in the wiring connector and your getting a short circuit. The DIS would then think that the pads are worn. try cleaning the connector and applying WD40 to keep the water out
  3. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Member

I'm also getting the light come on occaisionally,but the pads are fine. It seems to come on when bouncing over a rough road surface, which would suggest loose wires, but I have checked and all seems ok to me. Why I should need a malfunctioning warning light to tell me that my brakes need servicing beats me anyway. What was ever wrong with good old fashiond periodical maintenance? Is there anyway of cutting out/by passing this whole system?
  4. maxlbrown

maxlbrown Deep Blue

check the inner pads not just the visible outers. it seems the inners wear quicker so you think there ok but aren't. have seen this before turned out the pads where low on the inners but seemed fine on the outers.

M
  5. AwesomeSarah

AwesomeSarah Member

As the pads wear , it is replaced by fluid
    Could it be that the fluid is low rather than the pad?

Other than that , yes dirt and water (not that we get alot of rain) can get in to the contacts of the sensor , so may just need cleaning up
    Sarah
  6. fjtwelve

fjtwelve Moderator Staff Member Moderator

In my experience with wired up pads (going as far back as a Peugeot 504 in about 1988 yes I am nearly an old git), they are all pretty conservative ie they light up the warning light a long time before the pad is worn out. I would also check the handbook to see if any other problem triggers the warning light eg as Awesomesarah says it could be the fluid level.
  7. avanted

avanted New Member

occasionally going over bumps and warmer weather seems to activate my light. cleaned up the connectors and measured up the pads against new ones, ...... still no nearer a solution:sadlike:
  8. Flying Spanner

Flying Spanner Member

Yes, the connector locking tab may be broken on the strut. It looks connected, but goes open circuit over bumps. Easy way to test is to remove the pad connector and make sure it clicks home easily and the rubber seal is not preventing correct fitment due to swelling up oversize. If the connectors are ok, you could have a broken wire which you can't see as the pvc insulation is still ok. Bridge the pins on each socket in turn with an old pad loom connector with ends joined together or a small loop of wire (cars loom, not the pad loom) secure any wiring and drive the car until you find out which corner of the car is causing the problem.

You have looked at the simple things first like the fluid level is high enough (as front and rear pads wear fluid level drops) to prevent warning and the inner pad sensor is not chaffed on a worn disc lip.
  9. H-M3

H-M3 Member

Sorry not to jack this thread, but my car seems to have this on permanently! I have had brand new pads on the front not long ago. Flying spanner where is the car side loom locacted?:shrug:
  10. Flying Spanner

Flying Spanner Member

Hi, the car side loom is on the strut. Its the socket left behind when you remove the pad sensor plug. Sorry I wasnt very clear.