Brake options - 3.0 TDi Quattro

Donald_MacIver

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the brake discs and pads all round on my 2006 A4 3.0 tdi quattro 233 (chipped to 294). Having priced up Brembo OE spec replacement parts, the whole lot comes to just shy of £300. Are there any other decent brands that are worth considering? Should I be looking to go for upgraded drilled or grooved discs? Thought I better ask on here as you lot will surely be in the know!

I'm looking to replace the brake discs and pads all round on my 2006 A4 3.0 tdi quattro 233 (chipped to 294). Having priced up Brembo OE spec replacement parts, the whole lot comes to just shy of £300. Are there any other decent brands that are worth considering? Should I be looking to go for upgraded drilled or grooved discs? Thought I better ask on here as you lot will surely be in the know!
Personally I think MTEC discs are more than adequate unless your on a track. A few people have shared horror stories of them warping very quickly. Where as I've put my car through some pain over the last year and all though I've upgraded all the brakes, they still really take some punishment, and considering you can get front and rear discs and pads drilled/drilled & grooved for £250, it's abit of a no brainer. I have 6 pots on the front and went for the MTEC merc ml55 discs which where £86 and I thought these ain't gonna last 2 minutes.... But I was very wrong. They're a great budget priced disc. Just a little heavy. Also I would go for either the black or gold coated discs as the centres and edges start to corrode and look abit grim after a while. For an extra £10 it's worth it. :)

Plus one for MTEC. Coming up for two years and 17,000 miles on mine, and they're still pretty effective. Four drilled and grooved discs plus Mintex pads cost me about £210.

+1 for me. Put a set on with Mintex pads but have just replaced the front pads at 16,000 miles which is a bit low for me. They had about a third of the meat left but the indicator light was on which was irritating me.

This time I've fitted EBC Redstuff to the front and after bedding in stop as well as the Mintex but much less brake dust if that matters to you.

The only thing I would do different is pay the extra for the coating as the rusty grooves annoy me.

Where's the best place to buy these from?

Mtec do them but a few other places show up in a google for slightly less money. They are much dearer than the Mintex but in theory should last longer.

When getting your discs and pads replaced, is there anything else you should consider getting done at the same time? New brake fluid?

Its recommend to change your brake fluid every 2 year.

Thou not essential. But just usually common practice as you will be right there by the bleed valves for ea caliper.

+2 for the MTEC here but bare in mind I personally don't think the braking has improved much from OE. If you want better braking then consider S4, Cayenne or ML55 brake conversions as mentioned above.

Its recommend to change your brake fluid every 2 year.

Thou not essential. But just usually common practice as you will be right there by the bleed valves for ea caliper.

I did Hel hoses and a dot 4.1 fluid change when I did mine.

Cheers guys, 1 more Q.
If I get drilled and grooved is there any risk of getting brake squeal? Should I just stick with grooved?

I've not had squeal with either pads with my drilled and grooved but you do get a little hum under braking that you dont get with flat disks.