brake lights not working

edward_harris

s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6
Reaction score
hey guys none of my brake lights are working, ive checked the fuse and thats fine any ideas what it could be?!

Does anyone know if this starts off as an intermittent failure? It's just I've been getting this fault code on VAG-COM and a mate that followed me a while ago said they weren't working all the time?

I'll be starting by changing the switch, just wondering if anyone else had this intermittent problem?

16955 - Brake Switch (F): Implausible Signal
P0571 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Keep resetting the fault and see how quickly it returns... IMO that fault can occur in normal running due to the dual circuit nature of the switch and the potential to be in traffic pressing the pedal slowly and being able to switch 1 circuit and not the other.... do it enough times in a time period and an intermittent fault will occur.

If it become regular or your brake lights are not working then change the switch.

remember one circuit is for the lights the other the ecu so if the fault is returning and the brake lights are working then it could still be a valid faulty switch.

edward_harris said:
is it a easy job to change the switch?!

Not if you know how, I could probably do one in under 30 minutes, most difficult bit is adjusting the switch to activate the brake lights the moment the pedal moves.

Just did this repair - very very easy. Just be warned about installing new part, they come 'deactivated' & can break, so don't go pressing the plunger! Install with brake pedal in up position, THEN plug in the connector. Should work fine