1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake lights don't work till pedal about 1/3 way down! (brake light switch maybe?)

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by impster, May 19, 2009.

1. impster

impster Member

As per the topic title, my brake lights won't come on until the pedal's about 1/3 of the way down - i.e. after the car has started braking.

I'm guessing it's a brake light switch issue - Do these cars have adjustable switches or is it a case of replacement?

Mine's a 'W' reg, 2000, A4 (B5 model) 1.9TDI 115hp Saloon.

If it is the switch, is it a DIY replacement job, how easy/hard?

(complete audi novice so please go easy!)

Thanks

Impster

:redrs4:
  2. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Its simple enough to change, you need to drop the drivers knee bolster and thats only 4 8mm headed bolts, that will allow access to the switch. You can remove the wire to the footwell light to remove the bolster completely. Once in there you will know whether its loose or needs changing
  3. impster

impster Member

Top man. Thanks for the info. Once this bloody rain eases off I'll take a peek.
    Where's a good place to get a replacement if I need one - local VAG dealer or are there better options?
  4. andybnwc

andybnwc Member

dont know about yours but mine is adjustable , screw type think its above the clutch pedal
  5. Geeman

Geeman Low Life

Mine needs doing too... I have a similar problem, though not quite as severe!
  6. impster

impster Member

Does anyone know what kind of switch mine's likely to have (yr 2000, 'W' reg 1.9 TDi 115hp Saloon)

If it's adjustable, I presume it's a 'two-nut' on a thread affair - similar idea to adustable handbrake/clutch cable concept? Is there a way of finding out without dismantling?

Many thanks for all the help - greatly appreciated.