1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake lights don't work! AARRRGGH

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by LaSarthe&Back, Nov 7, 2006.

1. LaSarthe&Back

LaSarthe&Back Member

[Nov 7, 2006]
    OK, with the MOT less than 2 weeks away, my brake lights decide to stop working. I think it's the switch, cos they come on about 1 out of every ten attempts, and it's all 3 too. So it can't be the bulbs, or a fuse.

My question is, how do I take the lower dash off to get to the switch? Is it just a buch of torx screws? If so anybody know how many? Wanna see if I can get it out tonight and clean the contacts up or is it a replacement job?

Cheers all,
    Andy
  2. rickparmar

rickparmar va va voom

[Nov 7, 2006]
    its very very easy, just follow all the screws under the dash, fuse box, and that little gap area just below the control of the one click head lights if that makes sence

most likely replacment, i got mine from euro car parts for like 6 pound or somthing, took 20 seconds to take old one out and put new one in
  3. LaSarthe&Back

LaSarthe&Back Member

[Nov 7, 2006]
    Thanks for that, they seem to be ok now, just cleaned the exterior contacts on the sensor and the loom. I took the switch apart expecting to get to the contact on thhe inside, but it's all sealed.

See how it goes I think, may just get a new one on standby.

Cheers for the help! Most appreciated.
    Andy
  4. mintie

mintie Member

[Nov 8, 2006]
    Mine went last week, One moment llights next moment nothing,Went to a mate said that it was the relay at the top area of the brake pedal, Got a new one at my local VW dealer cost about 8 quid ,Problem solved