1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake light won't go off

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by golf, Nov 28, 2007.

1. golf

golf ***** rent boy VCDS Map User

[Nov 28, 2007]
    My facelift S3 has the problem of leaving brake lights on, even when no one is near the brake pedal. If I switch the car off, the lights (including third brake) will stay on, not only is this annoying but it is also killing my battery.

I can pump the brake pedal a few times and move the car a few feet and the brake lights will go off, but after a few minutes they're on again. Obviously, this is draining the battery, and it's getting very tedious now coming back to find that the car is in a coma.

Any ideas what it could be?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 22, 2014]

3. S3-ROB

S3-ROB RD350YPVS - Loves 2 stroke oil

[Nov 28, 2007]
    Had this problem a few months ago, it was the brake light switch above the brake pedal, part cost me approx £8 from Audi and was easy to fit, took about 10-15 minutes

:icon_thumright:
  4. golf

[Nov 28, 2007]
    I thought it might be that, don't fancy getting underneath the pedal when it's so chilly outside, but then again it gets dark at 4, so I've not got much choice! Thanks Rob.
  5. danotto

danotto VAG HUNTER

[Nov 28, 2007]
    if not check if the car has a relay for the brake lights the contacts may permanetly be close causing the lights to stay on if so try swapping the relay over with another to see if the problem goes away
  6. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Nov 28, 2007]
    Feel around the brake area and find the push rod on the switch.

Pull the rod out. Its on a rachet and the first time you press the brake after, you'll hear a few clicks as it sets to the correct length.

See how you get on.
  7. jcb

jcb Active Member VCDS Map User

[Nov 28, 2007]
    mine went, exact same thing, switch has a spring inside which is prone to slipping of its mounting (at least it was on mine) bit of tinkering and it went back on, didn't need the repalcement
  8. golf

[Nov 28, 2007]
    Thanks for the suggestions fella's, I'll have a gander tonight and hopefully get back with the outcome.