brake light switch throwing up ESP light - hard to replace?

Rolling Thunder

Reaction score
Chaps just been quoted £145 by the main Stealer for swapping out the brake light switch (the one on the brake pedal) surely it cant be THAT hard to replace.

Is it that expensive because half the dash has to come out or something? I've not even looked at it yet - just wondering

Changed mine in my old A4 part is about £10 from the stealers and takes about 20mins to install as you just have to get your head under the steering wheel so you can see the switch. unplug connector twist to remove old switch put new one in twist to fix in place and then reconnect.

thanks I figured it couldnt be that hard... but I have only owned my car for a couple of weeks so havnt got to grips with it yet mechanically....

If you PM me your email I'll send you a PDF which explains it.

Did mine last week, depending on what inst; you follow it doesn't tell you the switch isn't directly above the B-pedal but to your left next to the clutch pedal..

Just ordered the switch from Audi at a cost of £10 and the service manager advised it takes about 30 minutes or so to do... so not too sure where the high cost they quoted me actually comes from... :think: Thanks to James for the guide....

Having similar problems myself so im going to do this myself maybe next week as this weekend im fitting my new DV and attempting to fix the passenger leccy window.

Thanks for posting.

i cant believe they were gonna charge you that.

It took me 5mins to change mine. unplug the multi plug on the end pop out the old insert new one and put on the multi plug. Its a bit of difficult postion though so youl be upside down with your legs hanging out of the car door lol

Also got a similar problem as well with my car. And I also don't have any courtesy lights on either of my doors. So, not sure if this is related or not.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cati

Also got a similar problem as well with my car. And I also don't have any courtesy lights on either of my doors. So, not sure if this is related or not.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cati

That will be your door lock solenoid. Be careful you dont open the door and leave the keys inside!!! Doors are likely to relock with them inside