Brake light bulb fault on DIS

whatstandwell

Reaction score
I have a 2002 S3 and recently I've had an intermittent brake light bulb fault showing on the DIS. However, I've checked the bulbs and they are fine. The fault clears the next time I press the brake pedal. It happens quite infrequently, maybe once or twice a week.
Anybody got any ideas what could be causing it? I've checked the obvious, like if the bulbs or connectors are loose.

I had this when I first got my car about a year ago, I was told that the filament in the bulb can detach itself at one end but still make contact / lose contact whilst driving so I decided to change both brake light bulbs (cost pennies for the pice of mind) as I didn't know which one was the dodgy bulb. Not had the DIS bleeping at me since changing them! I cleaned off all the dust that had settled on the other bulbs whilst I was at it too.

Yeah I had a dodgy bulb too.

For the sake of £1.50 get 2 new bulbs and change them both. If the problem continues it could be a bad brake light switch which is located under the brake peddle. I believe these are relatively cheap too.