Brake fluid change. 1.9 tdi

AudiLeon

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've been using our lasses A3 today and noticed the brakes are abit spongey. With no idea when the brake fluid was last changed. I got some fresh 5.1 today and setting about doing it tomorrow.
Is there any specific way? MC first? or last?
Cheers.

Quite a few threads one this best practice is pressure bleeder and bleed the usual furthest away and work forward... bleed the MC last (2 nipples on the MC)

5.1 fluid is actually a little spongier than dot 4. If you are looking for fluid that is less likely to fade under heavy braking then try Motul RBF 660, its a DOT 4 fluid but exceeds the spec of most dot 5x fluids

<tuffty/>

Cheers Tuffty, I was going to get 4. But the book in halfrauds said it needed to be 5.1 for some reason. Not too bothered about fade or boiling points. She only uses it to go to work and back so it's not getting a hard time at all.

I shall go and start work on the old girl now.

Had a fun time!
Don't worry, I haven't just finished.

Drivers side rear bleed nipple decided to snap flush. Nothing wanted toget it out. I took the caliper off to have ago at it in the vice but no luck, so had to try and bleed it via the pipe. Not ideal, but its got it back on the road whilst i get a fresh caliper.
Its VERY spongey, but I suspect that caliper is just full of air. New caliper ASAP me thinks.

buy a new nipple. get a drill (3mm for example) put a hole in the flush nipple, hammer in a good 4mm spline bit, impact gun it out

buy a new nipple. get a drill (3mm for example) put a hole in the flush nipple, hammer in a good 4mm spline bit, impact gun it out
Exactly what i would normally do.
I driled it out to 3mm hammered in a spline socket and snap. Flush.
Lovely!

snapped the spline?! bad times. ive been using an S2 steel set for quite a few years now. apart from loosing them under the bonnet of the S4 theyre unkillable

Mine were a halfrauds. Never mind, live and learn!
Got my A4 back though, without the need for a flywheel. So quite happy there!

Just waiting on a fresh caliper to come.