Brake fluid again

Markb

Reaction score
As subject my car is going in for a service tomorrow and I am having the brake fluid done as well, but I am not putting the standard fluid in. So I just wanted to put my mind at rest and make sure it will be OK.

I will be putting some of the EBC Sport brake fluid in which is DOT 4 Glycol based.

B0006ZM8KE.01-A3T9DCNWRSRUFM._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

More info

I take it the standard fluid is DOT 4 Glycol? and that it will be alright to just flush the system and put the new fluid in?

Also do you have to flush the clutch master cylinder?

Dot 4 is Dot 4

doesnt matter who makes it really.

[ QUOTE ]
Dot 4 is Dot 4

doesnt matter who makes it really.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought their were different types though? As it says do not use with systems that use Mineral based fluid.

So there are two different types. Glycol and mineral /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Also it says do not use with systems with Aluminium brake cylinders. Does that apply?

All DOT 4 should be the same spec.

if you want upgraded fluid, you would be better going for DOT 5.1

its higher rated boiling point.

what ever you do, DO NOT go for DOT5

its completely different animal (silicon based IIRC), cannot be mixed with anything else, and cannot be flushed out and requires full brake system strip down.

ive just gone from Dot 5.1 to Dot 4, as i got a brake fluid change done free, and i havent noticed a differnence yet. (porsche big reds)

im not sure what the audi calipers are made of.??

quick google found this on fluid types..

http://www.mg-sportcars.co.uk/Brake_Fluidsl_FA_Questions.htm#Other%20Types%20of%20Brake%20Fluid.