1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Dust Shields

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Was, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Was

Was Member

Hi, seems one of my rear dust shields, has broken and now the car sounds like a loaded up shopping trolley. Anyone know where I can get a set, and that they are called Dust Shields, I can only find this on the US websites, not the UK ones......?

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. Was

Was Member

Bah I just found out they are called Backing Plates, but still can't find any for sale...only in the US, so suspect main dealers only, which means rip off coming my way...

4. amit87

amit87 Active Member

I swear they are like £18 or so from audi.. anyway I took it to my mechanic and basically the hole around the bolt or something rusted through, he just put in a big washer in place as a "clamp" to secure down the remainder of the plate and its been secure for over 8months now and thats with some harddd driving, loads of snow etc etc so its fine. I was desperate for a quick fix at the time otherwise would have just brought the genuine part.

5. Graham89

Graham89 Derv Perv

I ripped mine off the rear as they rusted through. They aren't an MOT failure item so I wouldn't necessarily worry about it.

6. amit87

amit87 Active Member

Remember if they didn't serve a purpose, Audi would not have invested money in designing the damn thing. I would get them replaced to be honest, but wouldnt rush to as if it was a more important component.

7. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral
    Team Ibis Audi S3

The purpose is to keep brake dust to a minimum but you don't need them...mine has had it's removed ages ago,and no ill-effects.

8. Jameze

Jameze James

I thought that the recent MOT changes now include these? I could be wrong though?

9. amit87

amit87 Active Member

I would be surprised if the recent MOT change does not include that a car must have less than 1000miles!!! Some of items included are ridiculous!!

10. MTRL

MTRL Split Grill!

I want to replace mine too,they are rusted out of shape.

11. _G_

_G_ Active Member

Mine are gone but I have not bothered to replace them.

12. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk
    Site Sponsor VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A5

looks like im not the only one to remove rusted rear dust shields. keep telling myself i should replace them...