1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Disks - Brembo(jr) GT kit

jojo May 12, 2005

1. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona quattro Audi S3 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

Hi chaps, it would seem that the brake disks on my motor have warped, possibly due to my track day a few months ago, despite taking all precautions with warm up, and slow in laps and parking up with hand brake off etc...
    Anyway, I've been quoted £350 + vat for the disks and £110 + vat for pads! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif, so that's £540.50 for just the parts!! which is more than half the cost of me having the kit fitted on all-in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif
    I'm open to any suggestions as to where I can get these parts cheaper, or where an alternative part maybe used, so basically HELP!...

2. are they too bad to have them skimmed ????? just an idea

3. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona quattro Audi S3 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

[ QUOTE ]
    are they too bad to have them skimmed ????? just an idea

[/ QUOTE ]

It would seem so, they are vibrating at low speed aswell, like 30mph which is a bad sign apparently. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. jediknight

jediknight Member

this is something i have always thought of when thinking of upgrading my brakes

the cost of replacement parts!!

hope you find them cheaper.... thats mighty expensive!!

5. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

your darn tootin - £540, i thought it was only £700 for the complete kit making the calipers only £80 each then???

6. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

another upside to 2 piece discs!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. jediknight

jediknight Member

so that is genuinly the cost of parts....

thats completely put my off upgrading!!

8. nlw73

nlw73 Member

genuine brembo parts are expensive...but they last!
    plus you have a 2 piece disc kit as well so you have to pay!

on my old skyline 33 GTR the standard issue discs were 500 EACH from nissan!! not even 2 piece so they warped easily on track.

most owners wnet for the AP6 pot kit with 343 disc for like 1300 pounds!!

you won't regret paying hte extra

NEVER GO CHEAPO on brakes and tyres!! very very important on the car!!

hope this helps
    Nick

9. Rich, how much are the discs with the ECS stage 2 kit? Off the top of my head, does it use standard disc sizes? Just out of interest, as it might persuade some people to upgrade this route rather than the Brembo (£540 a disc) route. The kits are roughly the same price aren't they?

10. RichA3Turbo

[ QUOTE ]
    Rich, how much are the discs with the ECS stage 2 kit? Off the top of my head, does it use standard disc sizes? Just out of interest, as it might persuade some people to upgrade this route rather than the Brembo (£540 a disc) route. The kits are roughly the same price aren't they?

[/ QUOTE ]

2v2 discs are roughly £180+vat!

11. jediknight

jediknight Member

it was omen666 on the tt forum that told me... he has the drilled brembos and i commented to him about your problems and he told me that was an option so i thought i would pass it onto you

12. jojo

[ QUOTE ]
    it was omen666 on the tt forum that told me... he has the drilled brembos and i commented to him about your problems and he told me that was an option so i thought i would pass it onto you

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes well... I did put the phone down proptly, from the shock of the prices quoted, without asking for other options lol.

13. Pontio

Pontio Member

can some1 verify how much the pads and discs would cost if they needed to be changed on the junior kit? if there that expensive might well change my mind about them.. what is the equivalent ecs kit cost and how much for replacement pads and disks on that?

14. RichA3Turbo

[ QUOTE ]
    can some1 verify how much the pads and discs would cost if they needed to be changed on the junior kit? if there that expensive might well change my mind about them.. what is the equivalent ecs kit cost and how much for replacement pads and disks on that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Drilled discs are £350+vat for the GTjunior kit and £110+vat for original pads.

ECS Stage 2v2 disc replacements are ~£200+vat and ~£70/80 for pads

Yes its more expensive in the first place, but uses bigger discs, bigger pads, and look much nicer behind the wheel... Also more wheel friendly as give a good amount of clearance.

Rich

15. Pontio

Pontio Member

does the ecs kit use original porsche discs, pads and calipers? if so which ones and if i could source these parts myself would i be able to buy the adapter kit etc on its own from you?

16. RichA3Turbo

[ QUOTE ]
    does the ecs kit use original porsche discs, pads and calipers? if so which ones and if i could source these parts myself would i be able to buy the adapter kit etc on its own from you?

[/ QUOTE ]

No... the only kit that uses the discs is the Stage 3. Sourcing the parts yourselft in thoery is cheaper but i know many people who have tried and in the end, they may aswll have just bought a complete kit because its cheaper and less hastle! The calipers are OE porsche and we use Hawk pads because they are better than the OE porsche ones.

Rich

17. RichA3Turbo

[ QUOTE ]
    what porsche are the calipers off? if you have a part number that would be great and if i got the calipers myself do you have a kit for the rest? how much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately we can not supply parts of the kits... We can only sell complete kits

Rich

18. The Slug

The Slug Active Member

Just a thought, on the SEAT Leon Cupra's they have Brembo brakes, could this be a cheaper atlernative to the GT jr kit and be brought from seat themselves?
    I premuse this would be a easy swap too, being a VAG car.

19. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

It works out more expensive from seat @ ~£850

20. NWMark

NWMark Member

im pretty sure from seat its more like £1100, i priced this up ages ago but cant remember the exact price.

I think its the carriers that where stupidly expenisve though.

discs for the Cupra R brembos are £96 + Vat each, bought some on saturday.

Mark

21. The Slug

The Slug Active Member

[ QUOTE ]

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these for the GT jr kit then, presume there the same fitment?

22. jojo

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are for the GT jr kit, then I would have bought some already dude. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

23. jediknight

jediknight Member

jojo did you call amd to ask about the smooth discs??

24. NWMark

NWMark Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nope very similar but they have a different ofset

Mark

25. jojo

[ QUOTE ]
    jojo did you call amd to ask about the smooth discs??

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not yet, been a bit busy these few days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

26. monty77

monty77 Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Rich, how much are the discs with the ECS stage 2 kit? Off the top of my head, does it use standard disc sizes? Just out of interest, as it might persuade some people to upgrade this route rather than the Brembo (£540 a disc) route. The kits are roughly the same price aren't they?

[/ QUOTE ]

2v2 discs are roughly £180+vat!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for reference Rich how much are replacement stage 4 discs? And do you have to buy the whole thing .. hats and rotors?

Cheers,
    Adam