1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Disc Rust

stoakseya4 Jul 21, 2009

1. stoakseya4

stoakseya4 Active Member

I may have found some GMBH (drilled) discs, cheap, but they have some light surface rust.

How do you remove rust from the discs without damaging them?

Cheers awfully...

:greyrs4:

2. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

Send them to me in the boot of your car, I will return them a week later fitted and all shiney. And probably glowing :)

3. stoakseya4

stoakseya4 Active Member

:applaus: :3sadwalk:

4. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo 6+1 Gears Audi A3

And thinner...

stoakseya4 I don't think you should worry about the rust as long as it is only at the surface. It will come off after you break a few times.

5. AndymacA4

AndymacA4 Member

Agreed, the surface rust is normal and will come off with a few brake applications. Look out for any pitting or deeper rust, this would be more of a problem. If it looks like brown dust on the surface your fine!

6. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo 6+1 Gears Audi A3

If you really want to clean the rust before fitting them I think you can use a high granulation sand paper and gently rub it off. I do not advise on using any sort of chemicals, derusting sprays or such because they may leave a thin film on the surface that will affect breaking performances. You may end up in a ditch or rear-end someone.

7. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

I would use a fine wet and dry paper with water, 800 or 1200 to clean the parts the brake pads don't touch :)

8. no_idea

no_idea Active Member

How about a green or burgundy Scotch Brite pad or even a saucepan scourer.