Brake clunking Noise

Toblahoe

Reaction score
Hi All,

After driving today I noticed a weird clunking noise when i pressed the brake pedal,

It doesn't really depend on how fast I'm driving or how hard I press the pedal, as long as I'm moving I can hear it, It's also loud enough to be heard from inside the car, and It even happens when I gently press the pedal.
I changed the pads not too long ago and I'm hoping I haven't done anything wrong.

Skip to around 10 seconds on the video, I gently press the pedal 3 times and it clunks each time.

I had a quick poke around and it doesn't seem like anything is loose (Caliper, pad), and the braking efficiency seems to be normal.

Thanks.

Possibly the Disc pads moving up and down in the caliper.

If you reverse, brake gently, then drive forward and brake normally do you hear the noise??

The only thing Pagid about the Pagids from ECP is the name on the box.

Hi All,

After driving today I noticed a weird clunking noise when i pressed the brake pedal,

It doesn't really depend on how fast I'm driving or how hard I press the pedal, as long as I'm moving I can hear it, It's also loud enough to be heard from inside the car, and It even happens when I gently press the pedal.
I changed the pads not too long ago and I'm hoping I haven't done anything wrong.

Skip to around 10 seconds on the video, I gently press the pedal 3 times and it clunks each time.

I had a quick poke around and it doesn't seem like anything is loose (Caliper, pad), and the braking efficiency seems to be normal.

Thanks.

I had that on my b7. It was due to cleaning off all the brake dust from the caliper.
I suggest you take the pad off the piston and spread the spring out and grease the rail the pad slides on.
It stopped my noise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason I asked if they are Pagids from ECP is because they brought out an updated pad that was slightly larger to stop clunking in the calliper and carrier.

I know they aren't really Pagid pads as I have real Pagids in my six pots.

I had it for a few weeks when I changed my oem pads to EBC items a while back , it stopped after a while, had a good look a them at the time and nothing was a miss....I think it can occur with differing pads for some reason.

Yeah only done it since changing the pads, they're eicher from euro car parts. And by the rails do you mean the little metal hooks the pads sit on when in the caliper?

Reactions: PiloTT
Yeah only done it since changing the pads, they're eicher from euro car parts. And by the rails do you mean the little metal hooks the pads sit on when in the caliper?

On the caliper carrier there is and edge where the pad runs on as it wears. Put some copper grease on it so the pad can slide smoothly on braking.

Forget copper grease get some Mintex Ceratec it's the newer alternative to copper grease!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay so I used some copper grease on the caliper carrier which has made it quieter but I can still sometimes hear it, probably because of the cheapo pads but it's not bothering me anymore. Thanks for the help guys.

Reactions: carlcall

Me too.... Eicher pads from Euro Car parts.

Okay so I used some copper grease on the caliper carrier which has made it quieter but I can still sometimes hear it, probably because of the cheapo pads but it's not bothering me anymore. Thanks for the help guys.

Do you hear any rattling or clunking over bumps, even like bumpy roads? Especially at low speed? I think either your caliper is loose or you maybe you didn't place the anti-rattle clips back on? Don't know, brakes shouldn't make that kind of noise.

Do you hear any rattling or clunking over bumps, even like bumpy roads? Especially at low speed? I think either your caliper is loose or you maybe you didn't place the anti-rattle clips back on? Don't know, brakes shouldn't make that kind of noise.
Very slight rattle when going slowly over harsh bumps, but other than that no, funnily enough this noise has come back recently, Will have another look soon.