1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Bleeding With No Diagnostic Plug

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Ian W, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Ian W

Ian W Active Member

[Mar 4, 2009]
    I've just got my car back from the garage after having a new brake pipe fitted and the brakes bled.

Im not sure if its because I havent used it in a while or if its not right but the brakes feel very spongy.

They have listed as an advisory that the diagnostic plug is missing, if they couldn't find this then would they be able to bleed the brakes correctly using VAGCOM?

The plug isnt missing, its a late prefacelift and the diagnostic plug is in the facelift location.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. Effect

Effect Member

[Mar 4, 2009]
    Nope the car cannot be bled effectively without VAGCOM
    take it back and make them do it properly.

I had MASSIVE trouble with my car because of bleeding it without VAGCOM and bleeding my brakes ended up costing me somewhere inthe region of £600 :(
  4. Ian W

Ian W Active Member

[Mar 4, 2009]
    Cheers, I thought as much but I wanted to confirm.

Can't understand how they haven't done it properly, they have bled them there twice before :confused:

Looks like i'll be making a call tomorrow !
  5. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[Mar 5, 2009]
    I don't really agree you have to use vag-com, I do have it and didn't bother. I made a bit of a mistake when changing the rear calipers last year and let it get very low on fluid. You can bleed the master cylinder itself it's just a pain in the arse, it's awkward to get at the valves. Once the master is sorted no need for vag-com anyway... then just bleed each corner in order and repeat until you're happy.

If in doubt Audi seem to be offering a brake fluid service on all cars over 3 years old for £49 so why not just get them to do that?
  6. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Mar 5, 2009]
    The only time you would need to use VAGCOM would be if air got into the ABS valve block. You can bleed without it.

Depending on how the work was done and which pipe was replaced would determine this.

You can cycle the ABS yourself on the road. Find a clear private road with nobody behind you. Drive at at say 30mph and then apply the brakes hard. You have to get the ABS to activate. Then see how the brakes feel after that.
    DISCLAIMER : If you kill yourself, don't come running to me :)