Brake bias

Ben2487

Reaction score
I lowered the car this weekend and was curious to weather the brake bias controller on the back will now think there are more people in the back and apply more brakes to the rear, does anyone do anything about this if that's even possible or do they just leave it as is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lowered the car this weekend and was curious to weather the brake bias controller on the back will now think there are more people in the back and apply more brakes to the rear, does anyone do anything about this if that's even possible or do they just leave it as is?

Didn't seem to be a problem on mine,and given that you can't alter it without installing some type of manual bias control,there isn't much you can do in any case.

The S3 under heavy braking transfers much of the weight forward,and the only issue we had on mine was with a BBK up front,and stock brakes on the rear,the rear was going so light on hard braking that it was actually snaking around a bit.
Uprating the rear brakes to restore the balance sorted that.

Back in my nova days when I lowered it and would slam on it was so bad it feels like someone pulling up the handbrake.

I also fitted bbk up front and now unlike standard the front is lower than the back I haven't drove it enough to get a good feel for everything yet but now the car is a lot more responsive for turning but I do feel if I put my foot down on a long bend then back off the front then tucks in if that makes sense.

I'm going to get the car corner weighted and set up properly as I removed the rear arms to paint the camber and tracking is prob way out. Just need to find somewhere tidy to do it in Wales!

Back in my nova days when I lowered it and would slam on it was so bad it feels like someone pulling up the handbrake.

I also fitted bbk up front and now unlike standard the front is lower than the back I haven't drove it enough to get a good feel for everything yet but now the car is a lot more responsive for turning but I do feel if I put my foot down on a long bend then back off the front then tucks in if that makes sense.

I'm going to get the car corner weighted and set up properly as I removed the rear arms to paint the camber and tracking is prob way out. Just need to find somewhere tidy to do it in Wales!

Running stock rear brakes and a BBK will significantly alter the overall bias in terms of braking performance,and may result in the rear starting to squirm around like mine did.

The cheapest option is to uprate the rear discs to something like ZeroSixty's option,and fit a more aggressive pad like the Mintex 1155,but the best overall is to uprate the entire thing.

This is what you're relying on at the rear....

A single pot system...

I did change the discs and pads got yellow stuff to match the front
081f1235a8a51d40c7a3314f2c6951fd.jpg

Once I get a clutch and map it I'll book some trackdays to really test the brakes on the road you barely use them

Reactions: S3Alex