1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Braided Brake lines

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by dela, Mar 22, 2010.

1. dela

dela Member

[Mar 22, 2010]
  2. Andrew@A.L.D

Andrew@A.L.D May add NOS to 600+bhp?

3. Barks

Barks Member

[Mar 22, 2010]
    Same as the ones I have brought, make sure you have the 2 banjo fittings and 4 copper washers (new) can't see them in the photo,

damage looks OK, just to the outer cover
  4. jonny87

jonny87 Active Member

[Mar 22, 2010]
    yer damage is just to the plastic covering the actual metal braid, it would pay to have it recovered though as after time the dirt/grime/water etc will start to affect the hose

bit of a bargain there though mate, banjo fittings and copper washers can be had from halfrauds
  5. dela

dela Member

[Mar 22, 2010]
    sounds good to me. so just to clarify it is the front and backs?
  6. rossbrownlee

rossbrownlee Ross_S4

[Mar 22, 2010]
    To be honest mate i would steer clear.
    The 'slight rubbing' referred to in the description - There has obviously been some fairly significant abbrasion to the outer cover to cause damage like that shown.
    In my work our stainless braided flexi's are subject to 6 monthly inspection from the hose manufacturers, the criteria is pretty strict, any braid damage (broken braid, abbraided, corroded etc) and the hose is replaced asap.
    IMHO I would steer clear of fitting these to my brakes but at the end of the day it is up to you.
  7. dela

dela Member

[Mar 23, 2010]
    bloody hell, as its only on the outside and not acctualy damaged braid do you not think it would be ok? ill deffinitely look into recovering it if i do use them
  8. Matt82

Matt82 Active Member

[Mar 23, 2010]
    wrap some duct tape round that adn youre done, surely?
  9. jonny87

jonny87 Active Member

[Mar 23, 2010]
    mate if it were me id use them, just throughly check the braid and have it recovered and all should be well

BUT

if theres any sign of wear on the braid then i wouldnt risk it because if it bursts under braking you're gonna lose all your brakes, bad times!!
  10. rossbrownlee

rossbrownlee Ross_S4

[Mar 23, 2010]
    Well really the inner hose (something like ptfe teflon or equivalent) should be rated for the pressure that you throw up it, with the stainless braid providing reinforcement and some protection. as previously posted, it is your choice. Everyone on here may give you opinions or information but at the end of the day it is down to you to decide.

This may not be so easy. The outer covers of this type of hose are extruded onto it during manufatcure. any recovering you manage to get done will not be like the standard cover. if you are not bothered about the appearance then happy days.
  11. rossbrownlee

rossbrownlee Ross_S4

[Mar 23, 2010]
    and another thing...
    hel offer a lifetime warranty on their hose kits. might be worth a cheeky punt, "hey the cover has come off my hose!!"