Brads A4 2.0 TQS build thread

With 2867 on T25 it must be around 380?

Wheels or crank? Crank then just do a k04-064 or relevant hybrid. Wheels then its your pick pretty much, I stress you avoid any gtx28, just a pointlessly expensive turbo with an old ns111 turbine wheel from the normal gt28 series (ball bearing). May as well grab a billet comp wheel from pagparts or hta if going such a route - again, starts getting expensive.

Given he already has the T25 parts, and the standard option would have been a GT2871R, what do you suggest instead?

Surely the GTX2867 is going to fit the bill, and will be better than the 2871R, despite not being as good as the GTX30's?

the GT2860RS is too small for the 380ish that he wants, and the other option is the GTX2863 which sits somewhere in between the two.

I guess the primary concern is if the 28 turbine wheel will flow enough to achieve the 380-400 goal he wants. I have an inkling that it perhaps doesnt which is maybe what your getting at. In that case, what about the GTX3067R?

I was meant to look up the 29 series turbo when i first heard they existed and i never did.

Which ever route i go will be limited on the T25 housing but i think that will suit it for my needs.

29 seems to have a slightly bigger turbine, but not as big as the full gt30 one. I wonder if its the turbine they used in the "compact" GT30's like tuffty had originally?

Even the GT30's come in T25 fitment, but obviously the larger the turbo, the more restrictive the T25 parts become.

I wonder if its the turbine they used in the "compact" GT30's like tuffty had originally?
im pretty sure it is. Nothing new. Tuffty only got 380 out of a 3071WG as they are called.

OP, you're not all that far from me. You can have a go of my car one day.

Reactions: Bradderz_1988
That means you've managed 380hp with a smaller turbo than tufftys 3071WG...

Is there any differences between your engines?

That means you've managed 380hp with a smaller turbo than tufftys 3071WG...

Is there any differences between your engines?
It's considered smaller but the 67 billet wheel is pretty comparable to a cast 71, so not that bigger really.

I've honestly no idea.
I think he had a t31 housing on that (t3 housing but t25 bolt pattern)
Dyno lottery too. He might have manage a few extra HP I can't remember.

Wheels or crank? Crank then just do a k04-064 or relevant hybrid. Wheels then its your pick pretty much, I stress you avoid any gtx28, just a pointlessly expensive turbo with an old ns111 turbine wheel from the normal gt28 series (ball bearing). May as well grab a billet comp wheel from pagparts or hta if going such a route - again, starts getting expensive.
Avoid the 064, they suck. get a "proper" turbo

Removing the F21 sunday from the B5 and some unwanted bits.

Basically seing if anyone interested on the following after they have been checked and before it goes on ebay.

F21 turbo - w/g 8-9psi £300
3" TIP black (reducer aswell) £80
THS 3" decat £60
Saab reds £15
Manifold (has a slight crack iirc) £30
ECS LW crank pulley blue £30
Ebay boost pipes red £20
4x Coil packs 4pin bolt downs 'hitachi E types' only work with ICM delete
£20

All + postage.
Would preffer to do as joblot on turbo but if someone wants something asap then i will split.

Some pics of bits so you no whats what but condition will be differant on removal.

Turbo (right) fitted last year.

Ths decat

Tip

Manifold

Saab reds

Coil packs

Ecs pulley but in anodized blue

Well i got cracking with it today instead, PM if interested in anything !

Turbo is all good, missing a stud, and has had a helicoil.

Manifold is cracked

Other bits

What power did you run with this FT?

It wasnt mapped running actuator pressure (8-9psi) with saab reds/vr6 maf, and was showing calculated airflow readings of around 196hp, going of what aragorn said previously this turbo should make around 260/270hp with a custom map. It drove great with this turbo and wish id of got chance to drive it with it being mapped.

I'm tempted to take it of your hands. Just really bad timing as I had to fork out for turbo rebuild :/

Its on ebay now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/181899623787

Im going to say for someone on here il do everything for £450+ postage for everything !!
Turbo, tip, manifold, decat, injectors, crank pulley. I will throw in the boost hoses the DV valve pipe has caught on the A/C belt and probably would blow if running more boost than stock. Great package that can be run on stock rods if mapped to safe levels.

Last edited:
Good choice on the turbo. I'm tempted to go for a gtx2867r on my other car, meant to spool fast and give good top end :)

I also have this 3" Maf needs the inner lip shaving a couple of mm as the sensor wont go in but the threads are correctly aligned.

Set at removing other bits today come to the head bolts and i need a longer torx socket think there T50 ? Also removed the A/C up to the evaporator to help make room for intake and I/C piping !!

Well its been a while since i updated this thread.

Not much progress just stripped out interior ready to pull the carpet to get it cleaned and dyed.

Took the head to work today stripped it ready to get it ported and polished and supertech goodies fitted. Plan is to pull the block at the weekend and get that stripped ready for boring and clearancing.

Few pics of the head 189k on this aswell and it fairly clean might i say.

Reactions: slepy
Well its been a while since i updated this thread.

Not much progress just stripped out interior ready to pull the carpet to get it cleaned and dyed.

Took the head to work today stripped it ready to get it ported and polished and supertech goodies fitted. Plan is to pull the block at the weekend and get that stripped ready for boring and clearancing.

Few pics of the head 189k on this aswell and it fairly clean might i say.

Don't forget to put valve guides in her, you will regret it else

GTX turbo's tend to be laggy , GT 3076 would be my choice for a nice round 500 :)

Would you say the GT3076WG is a better option then on the T25 setup ??

Im thinking more gtx2967r

In2deep only made 426hp on his spa t3 top mount and gt3076 and ext wategate iirc

And yeah im going to put the supertech guides in the manganese ones.

Got it a bit cleaner today :D

If it were me i'd go as modern as possible.

A GTX 67 wheel will flow similar amounts to GT 71 wheel, and because its smaller it'll be lighter and thus spool better etc.

You effectively want the smallest turbo that will make the power you want.

Think the GTX2867R is the one to go for then and i can look in to bigger turbos at a later date if i get bored of it lol

First off get the block out this weekend and get it bored out.

@Broken Byzan whats the bore clearance on yours ?? Any other clearance/tolerances to bare in mind ?

brad; what pistons do you have? If your buying, i'd try to stick with 4032 so you can run close to OEM bore clearances. the 2618 pistons use a alloy that expands a lot, and thus you need a bigger clearance which increases wear when cold and makes it sound like a bucket of bolts.

what pistons are you running? I'v refreshed mine to only 3 thou to minimise the slap. It was over clearanced previous ( Poor machining, and have sacked off that shop since) and would only shut up if you caned the hell out of it, fine for a track car but annoying that it sounded like a derv in normal use.

In too deep wasn't trying hard enough, mid 500's out out the 3076 when banzai, so 500 should be a breeze. I am however stuck with my 064

my JE's are 2618 alloy and clatter like heck, but more research since shows 3thou fixes it without detriment. My woosners were 4032 and were made to fit an 82.5 bore and drop in

It doesnt say what grade the wiseco's or CP pistons are willhave to do some digging on the net, i no in2deep had je pistons which he had a 4.5 thou clearance from memory and his were noisey

Few other bits cleaned up.

Intake may be swapped for a IE one time will tell.

Cams had some surface rust on lobes from being sat in the garage so uses a scotch key lightly to remove this there now covered in Oil and wrapped anti-corrosive paper that brake disc's come with.

Reactions: creechy
Look at the HTA 2868r. Same physical size to the GT2867 but a different blade configuration thats said to be superior to the garrett (spool better).

It doesnt say what grade the wiseco's or CP pistons are willhave to do some digging on the net, i no in2deep had je pistons which he had a 4.5 thou clearance from memory and his were noisey
hell yeah. mine were specced to be 4.1, i have a feeling he thought that was inches or feet of clearence,lol

Spoke to owens development via email today on the subjects of turbo's heres what they said:-

Reply 1:-
The ODGT2868HTA-M with the T25/5-bolt turbine housing would be £1,346.77+VAT. The price is the same for the .64 and .86 A/R turbine housing options. The .86 A/R housing is almost never used though, we were curious as to what you have in mind for the turbo? We might have a different solution for you.

Reply 2:-
The turbo’s you’ve mentioned are exactly the ones I would have recommended, the only other thing worth considering would be using an external wastegate, though you’ve said you’re not changing manifold so that doesn’t seem possible.

The GTX2867R would be quite well suited, the downside being the compressor wheel is larger than the 68mm HTA (we disagree with Garrett on where you measure the compressor exducer) so you would lose a bit of spool relative to the HTA, but would have more power potential. The 68mm HTA wheel is rated to ~480hp so you still have some power in hand. To maximise the spool I would recommend the .64 A/R housing, it won’t choke your turbo and limit the power, but it will improve the spool a lot.
If you have any more questions let me know

Reply 3:-
The GTX2867R is £678.53+VAT, the housing is £136.78+VAT. That price doesn’t include an actuator or bracket, which will be ~£150. If you wanted the turbo in M-Spec (like the quote for the ODGT2868HTA) it will be an extra £276+VAT.
GTX2867R - £815.31+VAT (~£965+VAT including actuator/bracket)
GTX2867R-M - £1091.31+VAT (~£1,240+VAT including actuator/bracket)

M-spec turbos look tempting till you see the price lol

Well today i finally got the block out.

So im going to offer my 1Z flywheel and 240mm clutch setup for any of the 1.8T guys as il be going TTV Flywheel with RS4 clutch.

Id be looking for £150 complete id prefer collection as its probably going to cost a bit too post.

Il get some pics as soon as i get the flywheel and clutch off but the friction disc looks to still have some meat left on it just needs a dowel as only 2 of the 3 are there but should be fine without as its probably not been there for a while.

Also i found this sat in a recess on the block on the passenger side does anyone no where its from or what it is looks like a restrictor/pressure valve of some sort ??