Bower motor cutting out

Bigshugs

Reaction score
I have a T reg A4 2.4 V6 Im delighted to say, and its great. Unfortunately the heater blower seems to have a life of its own. It works perfectly when I start out in the mornings . If I turn it off or switch off the ignition, for any reason and restart the car or restart the heater, the blower wont restart. All the lights and indictors seem to work fine and tell me its working but its not, if I set it on defrost, or any other setting it just wont start up the blower motor, best i get is a light but hot enough flow from the vent under the windscreen. It wont work until the car has been stopped for roughly 8 hours. I can drive the car for hours with the lights on but no blower motor working when it comes on suddenly and works perfectly until i stop or turn it off. IM bamboozled and the stealership is saying its over £100 just to find out whats wrong with my heater, Help ! someone please ?

Common problem. Worn carbon brushes in the motor, passing very little, or sometimes no voltage to the armature.

You'll need a new motor, though I tend to strip down all the ones I come across, and buy new brushes, which have to be whittled down and shaped to fit, as you can't buy them.

Or just replace the carbon brushes. Cost me £4.25 inc. VAT.

I tried that on mine, but it made the fan really noisy. Must have had the springs too tight or the fit wasn't perfect. Bought a new blower in the end, just seemed a lot less time consuming.

My heater blower began playing up recently and having read all the threads on here ended up buying a new Valeo unit (the Original Equipment suppplier who made them for VW and Audi) , yes the brushes are cheap but as AndyMac has said , there's no guarantee it'll work or last long.
In this weather one journey without heat is one too many, the job is a doddle, just remove glovebox ( a few bolts) , remove a metal bracket (2 bolts) and the motor is in front of you.....couldn't be easier really.
There are several threads on here explaining how to do it which I found really helpful...........
Blower motors (which are surprisingly small in reality as they appear huge in the pics!) seem to go from about £43 for the no-name no-brand ones up to over £80 for one in a Genuine Parts box.....
Mine was a buy it now at £63 with free delivery, it arrived by courier the next day and was from seller amtex on Ebay, who turned out to be German and Swedish Car Parts in Birmingham!