bought an as tdi s line (well at least thought i did)

daveturbo

Reaction score
Agreed sale for a a3 tdi sline on saturday night paid deposit of £200 and agreed to collect it next weekend subject to condition as he described and shown in pictures.

Get an email a day later sorry ive sold it to my mates girlfriend!!

How can someone agree something then do that? Do i have any rights? I mean we agreed he sent me a receipt via email and i sent the money.

have you got your deposit back? i don't know how well an emailed recepit stands up - was it a private sale i presume?

Unfortunately Dave, there are people out there like that! Once a deal is made in verbal or writing it should be stuck by unless there is a genuine reason otherwise.
If I was you I would try and get the fella to compensate you in some way on top of your deposit. You have a receipt, and by law it is a binding contract! He has broke that contract, therefore you should be compensated!
If you had pulled out the deal, then by law, you would have lost your deposit! It goes both ways fella.
If you are that peed off mate, as I can imagine you are, then take it further, and seek some advice and take your receipt!

Sorry this has happened to you mate.

Translate: I've just received a higher offer

That sucks Dave, and to be honest if he's that dishonest maybe you're better off not having the car as he could have mislead you about all sorts of other stuff with the car.

One word, rhymes with stunt and the seller sounds like one.

Can understand you being p*ssed off and sorry to hear about this. But id say there not alot you can do if he sold the car on.
Just look for another tdi s-line there loads to pick from. Make sure he refunds you your deposit!

Translate: I've just received a higher offer

That sucks Dave, and to be honest if he's that dishonest maybe you're better off not having the car as he could have mislead you about all sorts of other stuff with the car.

One word, rhymes with stunt and the seller sounds like one.

Agree with all of the above! Probably saved yourself some hassle.

Last edited:
haha yea. to be honest he seemed proper genuine and sound sent me 54 pictures all paperwork the lot. I sent the money to him on sat night and he said it was not showing up as it was an online transfer. i then said if he wants i will send a print screen over to prove 'ive sent him he said no its fine i believe you and said he knows it sometimes takes a couple of days to show up. then next thing the following day he sent me that email.

It was an email receipt but the point still been i sent him a deposit agreed a sale then he sold it to his mates girlfriend. The chances are he has not let the car go yet as it was a yesterday (sunday) so could not get paperwork sorted.

Dave.

i will tell him how angry i am and explain that unless he resolves it i will take it further as it is a legally binding contract. I just wanted confirmation from someone that this is the case and i do have consumer rights?

Dave.

Everyone above is correct you have made a legally binding contract, threaten to take to court of he doesn't pay you deposit back also remember to add interest onto it because you would of made interest of it had been in the bank then also more for your time and effort legally he should sell you the car aswell but as people have said above I wouldn't trust it. Get a lawyer involved they won't charge you much as they will recover there costs from the otherside and it sounds like many of them would take the case on because it's a pretty straight forward case.

like i say he sounded really nice, genuine seller. ive been in the car industry for 4 years as a salesman from vauxhall perrys and never once would that happen. I want the car, i just want to make him not sell it his mates girlfriend. By threatening court that might persuade him to do so. So its defo a legally binding contract then? and i could take it further if i wanted? that might make him realise what he has done and sell me the car instead.

[/Offtopic] Sam, loving your modifications 'Haves' list / emoticon! [/on topic]

Best of luck Dave, I'd say best course is like ou say don't get his back up and play the moral conscience card on him

ye ive just done that, he said there is nothing he can do the car has gone yesterday and the log book sent out today.

I cant believe someone would be so oblivious to what a deposit actually means!!? Anyway he said if i send him my bank details he will transfer the deposit back into my account. Not the point tho i wanted that car!

Dave

Deffo a legal binding contract. Someone I know recently, put a deposit on a car, decided he didn't want it and lost his deposit. He looked for legal advise, and was told he does not have a case as he broke a contract. He was also told that once a seller takes a deposit and gives a receipt, that they are obliged to sell the car to you, even if someone offers them more.
Hope this helps.

Get in touch with the Citizens Advise Bureau, explain to him that you want your deposit back ASAP, including compensation, you could always make some story up re the inconvenience it has caused you, above all you wanted the car, and legally with the reciept and deposit paid, that car should be yours, explain this to him and say you dont really want to go down that route, but as he has stepped away from the deal, he has left you no choice, also worth pointing out to him that if you had stepped away from the deal, he would have kept the deposit and would not have been happy with the way you had acted.

ye just on phone the citizens advice now. They are setting me up an account. I think he realises he has done wrong and said he will refund my deposit, but as i say its not the point i wanted that particular car it was the right spec colour and was not standard therefore wud be hard to find another. Also i negotiated a good price! im sooo ****** off. Cant understand some people tbh! hes a mechanic at Vauxhall aswel thought he would know certain basic things! (a deposit is to buy something) and as im 5hrs away from him i was leaving it to buy the car not to go for a test drive! and i explained this to him!

i hope it all works out in your favour but to me it sounds like yet another internet scam (hopefully im wrong)

just spoke to the citizens advice and they put me onto consumer direct, who said if he is willing to re pay ur deposit then there is nothing more i can do. She said by him putting me back in the position i was in before paying the deposit he has done as best as he can to resolve the situation.

Totally pi**ed me off tbh! Anyway this was the car, and as im sure you will all agree it was fair cheap! specially for the spec!

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplaceave.

To be honest I'd just get my deposit back and move on. You seem to be stressing about this pretty bad and i just don't think it can really be worth it, how unique could the car be that another one can't be found or even created (which is where the real fun is anyway).

just spoke to the citizens advice and they put me onto consumer direct, who said if he is willing to re pay ur deposit then there is nothing more i can do. She said by him putting me back in the position i was in before paying the deposit he has done as best as he can to resolve the situation.

Totally pi**ed me off tbh! Anyway this was the car, and as im sure you will all agree it was fair cheap! specially for the spec!

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplaceave.

Hmm, to be honest I don't think I would have bought that car. The guy has been very honest but it reads like he only kept it for 7 months because it's a money pit.

Ye thats what i thought at first but if that was the case he wopuldnt sell it his mates gf lol. Also the fact its had the new parts is a good thing, as if i buy another with similar mileage il probably have to do them things myself wont i. Anyway does anyone know someone selling a car similar :p

Dave.

Ye thats what i thought at first but if that was the case he wopuldnt sell it his mates gf lol. Also the fact its had the new parts is a good thing, as if i buy another with similar mileage il probably have to do them things myself wont i. Anyway does anyone know someone selling a car similar :p

Dave.

Maybe he hates her. I hate my best mates wife and I'd sell her a death trap if I could :)

haha! ye time to move on and find another am sure one will come up.

cheers for all replies and advice guys :)