Bought a 2005 a6 c6 3.0 tdi quattro se with 100k miles, advise on what to do/get done

seven7ten

Reaction score
Love the car so far! All seems OK, handbrake fault that appears to be just wiring, otherwise seems sound. Service about 8k ago.

I plan to

Oil change
All filters
Fluid change (atf, power steering, rear diff oil, brake fluid)
Terraclean

Any other suggestions? Anything that is likely to be on the way out, need replacing etc on a car this age/miles?

Also, when changing atf, anyone know if I need new filter too?

Thanks

Last edited:
Also forgot to mention, there's no sign of chain rattle, not that I can notice anyway.

In regards to the common injector issue for these cars... there is no long periods of white smoke. I've left the engine running when hot and no sign of any white smoke. However once or twice I have noticed a puff of white smoke on startup . Not sure if I am being too paranoid, but that's the only time I've seen any white smoke and it's been just a puff /cloud of it and nothing else. What do you guys reckon?

Cheers

Do / Have done, a scan to see if any fault codes.

Thanks for the reply. No faults (other than handbrake fault) and navigation which I've now sorted. But this is off a cheap fault code reader. A friend with vcds is going to come and scan for me soon.

Let the glowpugs heat up when it's cold, the smoke on startup will be unburnt diesel.

Love the car so far! All seems OK, handbrake fault that appears to be just wiring, otherwise seems sound. Service about 8k ago.

I plan to

Oil change
All filters
Fluid change (atf, power steering, rear diff oil, brake fluid)
Terraclean

Any other suggestions? Anything that is likely to be on the way out, need replacing etc on a car this age/miles?

Also, when changing atf, anyone know if I need new filter too?

Thanks

If it hasn't been done, Get the trans fluid changed every 80k.
Air con serviced every 2 years.

The ATF is expensive. There is a filter and magnet but you need to drop the sump to get to it. When changing the ATF, you can't get it all out due to the torque converter unless you have access to a special pump which flushes the transmission. There are some good videos and instructions for the tiptronic oil change if you search.
Depending on how it's been used, the suspension gets quite noisy at that mileage. It begins with clunking when going over bumps. Pretty easy to change but you need some time and usually some bolts are seized!
I changed mine at 130k(2005 model) and it was running very nicely with no problems. They are good engines apart from the problems with chain stretch and injectors in the early ones but hopefully yours is one without those issues.
Good luck