1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BOSIET - Anyone here done it?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Caesium, May 21, 2009.

1. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!
    VCDS Map User

A friend of mine works for an oil co and suggested an industry move, so I am now looking at the possibility of working in comms offshore.

Anyone done a BOSIET course, if so where, how much was it and what was it like?

Basically any info welcome.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Yellowtrophy

Yellowtrophy Member

Yes, I've done it.

I work for the petroleum division of the worlds largest natural resources company, and they paid for it, so I'm afraid I don't know how much it was.

I did it at the Fleetwood Nautical College, which is one of the very best facilities in the UK.

If you want to work offshore, it is vital that you have a valid medical certificate and also your offshore survival certificate.

4. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

Quite a lot of us on here have worked offshore at some point, many still do.

The basic offshore suvival course is a breeze these days - only a couple of dunks in the HUET, a little firefighting, and some first aid. There's a few places in Englandshire; Gt Yarmouth, Blackpool and Newcastle. Cost is about £650 for the course, and you'll also need a UKOAA medical before you can go offshore.

5. Geordie Mike

Geordie Mike Yeee-haw

There are plenty of places to do it in Aberdeen area (obviously). See if you can tie it in with visits to companies/interviews?

Offshore Europe is on this year in September. It's every 2 years and some of the companies are there, although it is focussed on tooling.

You may want to try petrofac. They provide a lot of people to companies, and are pretty big. If you got a role with them, they would pay for the medical and offshore survival (I'm guessing).

I can't imagine that most big companies would want you to pay for this yourself, it's part of the certification required. And a comms role is unlikely to be provided by a small company IMHO.

6. Staz

Staz is a retronaut
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Englandshire! lol Not heard that before. And I have worked with some pretty angry sweaty socks before!