Bose

I

imported_migzy

Is it worth the money or not ?

I've had loads of people say it's pretty crap and there jsut going by there name.

I'll make my own conclusions up when i pick up the car saturday.

Cheers

Migzy

I personally think it's well worth the extra ca$h! Had mine since monday and it ROCKS... everything sounds so much better than my old Sony system, it's clear, bassy... if your into Dance music tho it doesn't quite have the great feel to it as it does on some other systems! But it's a superb all rounder just depend on the type of music you're in to!

No regrets from me tho! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

I've not tried R&B or Garage yet... it might be ok!! Give it a try, I might just need to play with the settings to make it sound better! Sounds great for most stuff I've listened to... maybe I just need to get used to the quality!

[ QUOTE ]
R&B and Garage, i'm stuffed then

migzy

[/ QUOTE ]

Same as !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

But no car to listein to it in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

R&B on the Bose is fantastic. Just adjust the Bass and Middle and the Sound is very clear and crisp. Its definitely worth the money.IMO

I've got it and love it. I mostly listen to funky house/RnB and have the bass turned up to number 6 and it's not bad at all. Definatley worth the money.

J.

I've got the Bose system as well, but found the 8" subwoofer that comes as standard (?) a bit weak.

Obviously, due to diameter, it has trouble with low frequencies, which is what you're looking at for rnb and hip hop.

The Bose in general is a very well balanced system I find, and relieves the hassle of a full custom install. However I added my 12" Kenwood sub with Alpine MRV-T407 amp (both quite old) and the sound has now opened up even more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Treble on 0
Bass on -4
Sub set to very low frequencies ONLY and not much gain.

Only problem is the damn Auto-volume thingamyjig seems to leave the sub behind! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

let me also add that I'm a musician by night, and listen to a variety of genres while driving around.

once I get a new exhaust though, the Bose is staying off for a while!

If you like your aftermarket equipment and ground shaking bass, dont bother nut otherwise its WELL worth it. I think the std system in the A3 is a bit on the 'weedy' side compared to the std A4 system, but the Bose is excellent once you start to run it loud..
Audio pilot works well too changing the volume etc (not like gala) dependant on the sound in the cabin

That's what I was thinking!! Check you out plenty of useful comments coming from this guy today - keep up the good work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

I've got Bose and satnav plus in mine and the sound is fantastic (I listen to all sorts from Daft Punk to Keane). My only criticism is the active thingy that adjusts the volume to the road noise. Its very noticeable and you get it set to a comfortable volume and it either goes to quiet or too noisy. It can't be turned off either.

Out of interest, who makes the standard Concert head unit and the components for the standard system, i.e. non BOSE.

How many speakers has the std non BOSE system got, 8??

That's the second post I've read about someone complaining about the noise level adjustment. I've never noticed the volume going too noisy or too quiet. I've got it set to level 14 and when I'm flooring it on the motorway, I can barely hear the engine and the sound has gradually worked it's way up. On the subwoofer side, it feels less involved when you're actually travelling along, but when the car is stationary it's pretty noticeable. I find myself turning down the volume if I'm at the traffic lights in case I come across as a Mr Boombastic type /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Anyway, I love the Bose system and will probably get it again depending on the next car I get.

EDIT: Not sure if it's on the standard speaker spec, but with Bose you have a center speaker up front by the windscreen that really makes the sound come from in front of you. A week after I had mine, I drove my girlfriend's Golf without any special gear and I thought one of her speakers wasn't working until I leaned over to hear if the sound was coming from it. You tend to get spoilt from having a Bose system.

A friend of mine has the BOSE system and I think it is excellent, especially when compared to the standard option which is the one I have.
The comment about the bass vanishing at speed is a feature of all cars - the competing tyre roar and wind noise makes your auditory system compensate by compressing those frequencies (it is called recruitment) with the effect of reducing the perceived loudness of your subs. I am surprised that the volume compensation used in the system does not take this into account.
Its also worth considering Migzy that you could do very well spending the same money on a good aftermarket set up - possibly with much better results?

I'd also agree with the comment that the Bose system is a good all rounder. I am past my earth-shattering bass days but having said that I was listening the to new daft punk album this morning and the track 'The Brainwasher', which is the hardest track on the album, sounded really nice at about 20 on the volume control. Tons of low end, the mirror was shaking on the windscreen and sweet sounds from the squelches to the vocals.

I have not tried listening to much classical on it but what I have heard has been pretty good. I am no audiophile but very happy (apart from the damn cracking from the dashboard - aaargggh!!!). I find now if I play music loud enough it gets drowned out. Will take it back anyway I think soon.

BOSE is great - the only problem i find is that with music with base and not much mid you can hear the sub making rattles in the boot area (not got a clue where tho) well thats what it does on mine anyway!

Bose, seems great, love mine, I think the system is better than my ears though ........

[ QUOTE ]
I added my 12" Kenwood sub with Alpine MRV-T407 amp (both quite old) and the sound has now opened up even more.

Treble on 0
Bass on -4
Sub set to very low frequencies ONLY and not much gain.

Only problem is the damn Auto-volume thingamyjig seems to leave the sub behind!

[/ QUOTE ]

Shresh, could you comment on the install? How you hooked it up, etc.

And what do you mean by GALA leaving the sub behind?

tia,

-Ben