Bose wire delete

Lee+Ash_a3

Reaction score
As the title says I have removed the Bose pin from block connector and wow what a difference. I didn't think ours sounded all that bad but now I have bass on 0 instead of nearly full, it's punchier and seems to cover more frequencies oh and I actually have treble woo hoo.

Definitely a worthwhile mod and takes all of 5mins.

Yes he's correct I fitted sat nav few weeks ago and never repinned the Bose wire as I heard this before and wow it sounds so much better with miles more bass and treble deffo recommend pulling it out.

Pull the head unit out. On top is a diagram detailing which wire goes where. Bose is in the blue plug and on my concert CD player this wire was Brown. When you unplug the blue block connector the black piece inside the blue connector will slide out sideways, then just use a pin or similar to push the brown wires terminal in and withdraw from the connector. Wrap this in insulating tape or heatshrink and hey presto. Re-connect and you are good to go.

So what does it actually do? Disable a EQ setting or ?
Anything AMP related?

Yes it just disables the Bose eq, giving you full control over bass,mid and treble. After checking I still have gala but it doesn't have auto function anymore, not that it bothers me.

So this works even if you have bose...!? I can control my EQ from the RNSE quite well as it is... So i'm a wee bit confused as to what you actually are doing!?

So this works even if you have bose...!? I can control my EQ from the RNSE quite well as it is... So i'm a wee bit confused as to what you actually are doing!?

You can? I'm not 100% but I thought the only options I had in my RNSE was Bass and Treble ? I'll check..

The Bose eq levels everything out. We have Bose in ours and it all still works just has that extra oomph. I think the saying goes "no highs, no lows, it must be Bose". Basically by removing the Bose pin from rear of head unit will give full manual control over eq. The difference is huge, it seems as if with Bose enabled you get -1 up to +1 adjustment instead of ten points of adjustment either way.

You can? I'm not 100% but I thought the only options I had in my RNSE was Bass and Treble ? I'll check..

Now that you say that tho, i'm not sure... I know I have changed them though and have been under the impression that it sounds pretty much spot on... I've not got any issues with the quality of sound in the car, but if theres any little adjustments that can enhance it, then i'm all ears...

Remove the Bose pin and if it does nothing just re-insert it. There are lots of threads about this and everybody who does it hears a big improvement, that's why I done it and I'm glad.

now now kids what's all this?!

can someone just 'take stock' and clarify please?

so with a car that has factory bose, whether thats via concert or RNS-E removing the pin disables the Bose EQ which presumably is flat (or as close to as possible) and makes the sound more peaky? But this results in a 'better' sound overall?

Placebo!???

So how do you control your levels then!? Does the RNSE send its own EQ settings in a pre-amp!? I've never known an amp to have its own preset EQ levels that you can't change!? Lee... You got a link to these other threads?

The factory amp will also be doing some sort of processing I assume like EQ. The only thing I don't like about Bose is the centre channel being unamp'd although I understand why

It wouldn't be hard to test placebo. Use pink noise and scope before and after Bose pin removal

Placebo!???

So how do you control your levels then!? Does the RNSE send its own EQ settings in a pre-amp!? I've never known an amp to have its own preset EQ levels that you can't change!? Lee... You got a link to these other threads?
There was a time in the early 80's that Pure Class A amps had no tone control knobs! Maybe BOSE are harking back to those days & believe they know best???

:uhm:

I might give this a bash then... Wont take long.. Probably take longer to find my RNSE removal keys... I'll report back

Reactions: warren_S5 and Lee+Ash_a3
Last edited:
Yes the interior mirror really shakes once it's done

So Lee... Just to clarify, before you tried this mod, you had no control over bass and treble!?

See thats what I dont get... Mines shakes fine as it is....

The thing thats annoying me is that I was an Audio engineer for years... Ha, mine sounds spot on, was even comparing it with the b&o in the 8V and as far as 3 people could tell they were pretty identical... The only thing I dont like is maybe the high end could be slightly more crisp, and the fact theres no mid-range adjustment... I'd love to hear someone elses car to see what everyone is on about!?

Last edited:
I had bass,mid and treble controls before doing this but now it's like the previous levels of adjustment were +-1 in comparison, if that makes sense. The interior mirror shook before when up loud, but now it shakes like crazy on a good track at a much lower volume and bass at 0 compared with +8 before. Far more high end sound now also.

When I was reading the threads I thought the same about the current sound. I have always has 12' subs and amped components in previous cars and thought this sounded not too bad for a standard set up. I'm in Livingston if you want to hear one that's done, bit of a trek though.

Maybe its just my 'older' perspective on life nowadays or what I dunno... I've just been a drive and listened to a few tracks that tests all the systems ranges and to be honest its just fine with me... Maybe see you at 1 of the upcoming meets and you can show me what its all about...

Think they days are behind me now :-(

i find Chemical Brothers 'orange wedge' is a good test track in the car

When I was reading the threads I thought the same about the current sound. I have always has 12' subs and amped components in previous cars and thought this sounded not too bad for a standard set up. I'm in Livingston if you want to hear one that's done, bit of a trek though.

I might take you up on that actually, i'm through in Edinburgh for work sometimes.

I need to remove the RNSE anyway to finally get my aux wired in properly.

What I don't get though is mid control, I don't have this just bass and treble on my MK2 glossy surround RNSE?

I can't answer about rnse but from the threads I read it is only bass and treble on rnse even after the wire removal. I have just been out and re-connected it to check and it's definitely better with wire out. :o.k:

No highs and no lows, the it must be Bose. An old phrase I know and I'm a big fan of bose, but I have a new favourite see below.

I did this mod some years back it made an extraordinary difference. Highly recommended. It sounds so inferior to the Bowers and Wilkins system in my other car with Dolby 5.1 or DTS, 17 speakers and 1200 watts of power!

I just did it!!! OMG! What a difference! Deadmau5 - Superliminal sounds as it should now.
This mod is a must!

Reactions: Lee+Ash_a3
The Bose wire removal is pretty well documented on here. Have a search for my thread "do I have Bose" on here, I would link but I am using TAPATALK

It shows the wire I removed and I agree with everyone that has done it, it is like your bass and treble controls did not even work before and they suddenly then become activated. The funny thing is it makes now difference on my RNSe now if the wire is connected or not.

Does that mean it makes no difference to RNS-E based Bose systems? My car was concert and a previous owner fitted the RNS-E

Does that mean it makes no difference to RNS-E based Bose systems? My car was concert and a previous owner fitted the RNS-E

Likewise, mine was a Symphony 2+ head unit but I fitted my MK2 RNSE?

Pass on whether this mod won't work on all Bose equipped cars with rnse (even retrofitted), it takes all of 5mins to do and if no difference just re-insert the Bose terminal. It's worth a shot and if it does work on rnse you'll be glad you did it.

I did mine the other day. Agree with the other comments about being able to get more bass and treble out of the head unit now but one thing I would say is that the bass is no where near as controlled as it is with the Bose earth pin connected. It sounds like the sub-woofer is being sent a full range signal rather than something like just 100Khz or below and as a result, the bass sounds woolly rather than nice and tight as it was before.

I'm on the fence atm - still have it disconnected and will tweak the bass / treble settings again, but I may reconnect mine in the near future.

I was also hoping that it might fix the dreaded audio pilot issue - still to be convinced on this as it often takes a few weeks to show itself.

Audio pilot separate issue and I understand that there is a TEch Bullertin from Audi for it.

I can't believe you don't like the levels of new found bass and treble. I reconnected my wire and it made no difference once I had unconnected it. At the moment I think the process is irreversible but I could be wrong as my wire is dangling about at the back.

I removed mine a while back. The sound is acceptable now, whereas before it was rubbish.

Nluk100 is correct, the sub does now have full range sound or similar, I wouldn't say full range like when you switch a low pass filter off on an amp but definitely has some of the deeper vocals and tune coming through it. This is a quick fix for me until u have a custom enclosure made for an 8' sub in same position and amped separately