Bose Sat Nav

• Thread starter imported_rashpal1
  • Start date
I

imported_rashpal1

Some advice please.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In my S3 at the moment i have the Bose Symphony II system, i would like to upgrade it to the Bose Sat Nav system. Is this going to be a pretty straight forward upgrade or will it involve alot of work.

I know i will have to change the antenna to a GPS one, but does anyone know what else is involved. I would have thought the wiring loom and stuff will all be the same. I really don't want to go for a after market system because i would like to keep it looking original.

Any help would be much appreciated ..

Pal

Don't know for sure but I imagine it won't be just a simple plug & play. The Symphony II HU you currently have is not made by Bose (but by Matsushita/Panasonic).
The only Bose components are the speakers and amp.
The wiring is typical Audi and is non standard (mini ISO connectors for the pre-outs).
Given the problems people have been having adding an aftermaket HU to the Bose system I wouldn't bank on it being any easier just because it's a Bose HU.
Sorry to be the voice of doom, but these are the facts. It may work just fine but I'd be surprised.

Sorry I may have got the wrong end of the stick. Is the Bose SatNav a Bose product or an Audi one?

its not quite a straight swap - firstly your head unit lacks a switched power supply, lighting supply and GALA signal - these can be found from the back of the instruments or the back of another switch easily.

2nd, you need an adapter to alter some of the wiring between your existing loom and the wires needed for the satnav - i use an autoleads phone adapter set and modify the wires of this adapter - that way your old loom will plug back into your old head without any problems.

you need to change the roof antenna for a triplex gps one, and run gps lead, tmc data lead and tv data lead(if you want one) from the boot cubby hole to behind the head.

then you install the tmc box, the tv tuner in the boot, and connect the tmc tuner between the antenna diversity box and the antenna input of the head - this bit feeds fm signals to the tmc tuner so that it can extract the routing info from classic fm.

duncan

the satnav can be programmed to be bose or non-bose, its the same unit

I bought my wireing loom from a guy in Germany, about £80 but turns the install into a 1 hour job. I have is email address if you need it.
You will need to add a cd changer too, I stuck a sony mp3 changer in the glove box, this took another hour and needed a section cuttimng out the back to get the wires through.
This was an A4 don't know if the glove box is the same on the A3??

navcd.jpg

nav3.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
Don't know for sure but I imagine it won't be just a simple plug & play. The Symphony II HU you currently have is not made by Bose (but by Matsushita/Panasonic).
The only Bose components are the speakers and amp.
The wiring is typical Audi and is non standard (mini ISO connectors for the pre-outs).
Given the problems people have been having adding an aftermaket HU to the Bose system I wouldn't bank on it being any easier just because it's a Bose HU.
Sorry to be the voice of doom, but these are the facts. It may work just fine but I'd be surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi AndyMac,

I was thinking of fitting the standard Audi Sat Nav system..

Pal

[ QUOTE ]
dunk said:
its not quite a straight swap - firstly your head unit lacks a switched power supply, lighting supply and GALA signal - these can be found from the back of the instruments or the back of another switch easily.

2nd, you need an adapter to alter some of the wiring between your existing loom and the wires needed for the satnav - i use an autoleads phone adapter set and modify the wires of this adapter - that way your old loom will plug back into your old head without any problems.

you need to change the roof antenna for a triplex gps one, and run gps lead, tmc data lead and tv data lead(if you want one) from the boot cubby hole to behind the head.

then you install the tmc box, the tv tuner in the boot, and connect the tmc tuner between the antenna diversity box and the antenna input of the head - this bit feeds fm signals to the tmc tuner so that it can extract the routing info from classic fm.

duncan

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like this could end up being quite and expensive upgrade, i think Audi want something like £2
500 for the Bose Sat Nav head unit. I say this because i had my existing head unit changed under warranty because the display went and the warranty job showed the cost of the head unit being £1500.. I then have to get a 6 disc changer etc too and all the cabling.. Is it really worth it, have many people done this already before.

I have GPS alrady in the car via my compaq IPaq pda which has the GPS jacket on it running the CoPilot software, it works well but is not that detailed. Might have look how much the Navman icn 630 costs as this is just like in car navigation but is portable too so i would be able to take between my cars.

Thanks for all you help guys

Pal

I wouldn't buy any Audi branded electronics, talk about overpriced and usually not that good. Go aftermarket.
£1,500 for a £30 sh*te head unit?

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
I wouldn't buy any Audi branded electronics, talk about overpriced and usually not that good. Go aftermarket.
£1,500 for a £30 sh*te head unit?

[/ QUOTE ]

i can get a Alpine Screen with the Sat Nav CD Player amd a Six disc MP3 player brand new for around £2000, from Car Audio round the corner from me.

Just wanted to keep everything in the car looking origianl, plus the Alpine screens have Green illumination which will look a bit crap.. I can pick up the Navman unit for £800 and is portable too.

Might just get the navman system, then i can take it between cars..

Pal

If you are thinking of going down the pda sat nav route, have a look at the Tomtom software also. I have it and its great!

Cheers
Rich.

[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
If you are thinking of going down the pda sat nav route, have a look at the Tomtom software also. I have it and its great!

Cheers
Rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seem that, i think it pretty similar to the Pocket CoPilot version i have.. How easy is it to get updates for it and are they expensive. I know for mine it is £100 for the updated street map etc..

Pal

the audi stuff is reasonably priced from ebay.

i put together a collection of parts for an s3 upgrade, and the nav plus head, tmc tuner, tv tuner, all cables and adapters, roof gps antenna etc all came to £1100 to £1400 depending on the going rate for an a3 head unit.

the last ebay head unit went for about £600 where as an a6 one usually goes for £300 or so.

[ QUOTE ]
dunk said:
the audi stuff is reasonably priced from ebay.

i put together a collection of parts for an s3 upgrade, and the nav plus head, tmc tuner, tv tuner, all cables and adapters, roof gps antenna etc all came to £1100 to £1400 depending on the going rate for an a3 head unit.

the last ebay head unit went for about £600 where as an a6 one usually goes for £300 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Dunk,

I have found this one on ebay

Sat Nav Plus on Ebay

Why is there a price difference for the A6 head units, also what else would i need to get to make this one work with my S3 ??

Thanks

Pal

Dunk,

I have been doing some research, and have come across this website.

Audi Sat Nav Info site

I have had a read through, and there seems like there is quite alot to do.. It only talks about an install in a A4, is it pretty much the same in a S3??

If i can get the head unit for about £400 then i might just go ahead and place a bid on the head unit on ebay and get all the bits.. Just need to know how much work is involved.

Do you think doing all this will invalidate my warranty too.. Prob will i think..

Pal

It will only invalidate the warranty on the audio and anything directly impacted by the install. If your gearbox fails they can hardly blame the sat nav install can they.

They might not recover your vehicle from a remote location because the SatNav got you there

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
They might not recover your vehicle from a remote location because the SatNav got you there

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

firstly, blaupunkt just stopped selling any oem spare parts via the dealer network - you used to be able to buy a3 fronts for a4/6/8 navi units and swap them over - but you cant do it any more - i spoke to blaupunkt in germany directly about this and there is no way.

www.tvwiz.net is a very informative site, and most of what is in there is applicable to the s3/a3, except the siting of bits like the tmc tuner etc, the position of the diversity switcher and the part numbers. the roof antenna is similar to the a4/6 avant models and the connections to the DIS behind the instruments are different as well if your can bus isnt connected (mine wasnt) but i managed to find that info.

you cannot modifiy the front facia without it looking rubbish - you need a genuine a3 navi unit or the front face anyway. these are going for about £500 to £700 on german/english ebay if you are lucky to find one.

if you want basic satnav, you need the navi unit and the gps antenna (you could put a gps mouse antenna on the dash for a quick and dirty solution for about £30) but for a pro install you should go for the triplex audi roof antenna and lead, which would add about £100-130

to get the DIS to work to show navigation and the radio info (during real navigation, the DIS display is actually more use than the tft display) you need the tmc module and cabling (which gives you dynamic navigation with a tmc encoded uk disk, and it works very well for major routes) a tmc and proper wiring is going to cost about £150 to 180

then there is the optional tv tuner with auxillary inputs for dvd player etc, plus tv antennas/booster amps. the tv tuner will add £150 and the tv cable will add another £80 at least (the audi one is £168 plus vat!!) the auxillary input adapter will cost £30 and the antennas will cost £380 from audi or £150 for a 3rd party set with special audi adapter leads/12v blockers.

if you get an older c navi you dont need the can bus/tmc module but you get older maps, no dynamic routing, but easy info display on the DIS without using the can bus wires. there are NO c navi units for the a3 though so you could only do it if you found an a3 front with an older c navi for an a4/6/8 - which is all highly unlikely given the rarity of a3 fronts...

[ QUOTE ]
dunk said:
you cannot modifiy the front facia without it looking rubbish - you need a genuine a3 navi unit or the front face anyway. these are going for about £500 to £700 on german/english ebay if you are lucky to find one.

if you want basic satnav, you need the navi unit and the gps antenna (you could put a gps mouse antenna on the dash for a quick and dirty solution for about £30) but for a pro install you should go for the triplex audi roof antenna and lead, which would add about £100-130

to get the DIS to work to show navigation and the radio info (during real navigation, the DIS display is actually more use than the tft display) you need the tmc module and cabling (which gives you dynamic navigation with a tmc encoded uk disk, and it works very well for major routes) a tmc and proper wiring is going to cost about £150 to 180

then there is the optional tv tuner with auxillary inputs for dvd player etc, plus tv antennas/booster amps. the tv tuner will add £150 and the tv cable will add another £80 at least (the audi one is £168 plus vat!!) the auxillary input adapter will cost £30 and the antennas will cost £380 from audi or £150 for a 3rd party set with special audi adapter leads/12v blockers.

if you get an older c navi you dont need the can bus/tmc module but you get older maps, no dynamic routing, but easy info display on the DIS without using the can bus wires. there are NO c navi units for the a3 though so you could only do it if you found an a3 front with an older c navi for an a4/6/8 - which is all highly unlikely given the rarity of a3 fronts...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Dunk,

Thank you for all the info, much appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif Looks like my fisrt step is to really find my self a Nav Plus unit with an A3 facia for it.

The rest of the bits i can then get after, which if i'm correct are not hard source..

Also you say your can bus was not connected to the DIS.. Don't wanna sound stupid but how do i know if mine is connected or if i have it and it has not been connected?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif And what does this do, not too familer with Audi's yet not had one long.. Still in that learning curve at the moment.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Many Thanks

Pal

Hi

I have done exactly the same install in mine as what you are trying to do in yours.
I have not bothered with the TV as i didn't think i would ever use it. But the Audi SatNav unit works really well.
I am thinking of selling my car soon so i am thinking of taking the Satnav unit out and installing the Symphony again.

Let me know if you are interested i can install it in yours no problem, dont worry about the wiring looms from Germany as it is so easy to wire in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
BlackS3 said:
Hi

I have done exactly the same install in mine as what you are trying to do in yours.
I have not bothered with the TV as i didn't think i would ever use it. But the Audi SatNav unit works really well.
I am thinking of selling my car soon so i am thinking of taking the Satnav unit out and installing the Symphony again.

Let me know if you are interested i can install it in yours no problem, dont worry about the wiring looms from Germany as it is so easy to wire in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi

If do take the Sat Nav out let me know how much you want for it and we'll take it from there.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Where are you located, out of interest..

Pal

Ok, time to look like a fool, what's 'Can-bus'?

Sounds like public transport made by Citroen! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The can bus is how the Satnav units talks to the dashboard to find out speed and distance etc.

I would take it out and install it in yours with the GPS antena for £800.
I am in Bristol area.

[ QUOTE ]
BlackS3 said:
The can bus is how the Satnav units talks to the dashboard to find out speed and distance etc.

I would take it out and install it in yours with the GPS antena for £800.
I am in Bristol area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fitting it is not a problem, i can do that myself.. Enjoy doing all that stuff..
Will PM you to let you know what i decide to do.. Seem some on ebay for £400 ish with a A6 face plate, trying to see if i can get a S3 faceplate from somewhere..

Cheers

Pal