1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BOSE Quality??!!

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by simondavidr, Apr 27, 2004.

1. simondavidr

simondavidr Member

Hello there - when i bought my A3 i was told it has BOSe in it which indeed it does has the sub and amp and little logo on ignition but i have to say it sounds pretty dire when turned up the quality isn;t that great - am i doing something wrong can i take it to Audi and have them set it up?? Also if you turn the volume knob like half a click the volume shoots right up?? Is this normal?? Any help would be very much appreciated as i like my tunes but am pretty dis heartened at the moment!

Si
  2. garethj

garethj Member

The headunit is known to suffer from the volume control problem. Best option is to remove the headunit, speakers, sub etc, place it in a small stack outdoors (a safe distance from buildings) then set fire to it.

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Don't forget the Bose amp hidden in the offside cubbyhole.
    If the Bose logo is displayed on the HU when you turn it on, then it is setup for Bose and bar a few tweaks is the best it can sound on its own.
    There are a number of upgrades, new HU probably being the easiest. There are adapters that will hook the active system straight into an aftermarket HU.
    As Gareth says, the volume problem is very common, and apparently you can take the HU apart and fix it, or pay £80 to have it fixed. But it is a piece of junk, so I wouldn't throw good money after bad. Do it yourself or throw it away.
    I've found that the Bose system ha a very muddy sound, even with the treble on max. You could opt for one of my Stealth sub upgrades, which allows the HU to be run at -2 bass which not only provides proper thumping bass, but also relieves the little 4" cabin speakers from trying to deal with bass they can't possibly manage, so you get a clearer, cleaner sound, and can listen at higher volumes without distortion.
    It is a job that takes about 4 hours as you have to wire in a 40amp power cable and install a dedicated sub amp behind the rear speaker panel, but is the single most beneficial upgrade you can perform without stripping out everything and starting from scratch.
  4. simondavidr

simondavidr Member

Oh well bye bye little display!!

Cheers for the help Andy - i hope to be contacting you soon to discuss the possibility of fitting the stealthsub install.

Cheers

BigT
  5. AndyMac

I use JL Audio 6.5" & 8" subs, depending on budget (the 8" is £150 compared to £85 for the 6.5"). There's not a huge difference between the two, although you do get deeper bass with the bigger sub.
    I fit the amp behind the rear speaker panel (shown in the photo), so it is completely hidden.
    The Bose sub amp is actually inside the Bose sub enclosure, which obviously gets removed, so you can do what you want with it, sell it ebay or use it to keep your sandwiches in.
  6. mdoyle69

mdoyle69 Member

Does anyone know if you can fit 6x9's in the rear speaker panel??

Will a lot of mods be needed i.e cutting etc...???
  7. AndyMac

Yes you can fit 6x9's. All you need to do is make slightly larger spacer rings. If you use 12mm MDF (which you need to properly fit any aftermarket speaker in the rears), using the OEM speaker as a template mark the 3 positions of the mounting posts. Drill these out using a 5mm drill, and the panel will fit over the posts, and sit proud so you can fix it with the original screws. You may need to sink the screws into the panel slightly so they don't foul the speaker. Then you just need to cut the hole for the 6x9's.
  8. ha3t

ha3t New Member

andy mac could you give me a price for the 6.5 and 8 inch subs with the enclosure, amp, fitting etc.
    What Alpine amp do you use cos a mate said Phoenix Gold is the one to go for?
    Also where do you do fitting cos southampton is far for me?
    Finally would doing it make a considerable difference over the normal Bose setup?
  9. AndyMac

I use Alpine V12 amps, usually MRV-T505's or 705's. They are reliable, well designed and plentiful on ebay. Phoenix Gold maybe a better amp but I doubt it would make any difference to the sound as we're talking a very limited bandwidth, and as long as it has enough power and all the EQ/crossover settings spending more money would not necessarily improve the sound. But you're welcome to supply your own amp.
    I can only do the install in Southampton, but if you fancy doing it yourself I can email you with the instruction manual, which includes lots of photo's.
    Pricing is as follows:
    Custom Stealth Enclosure (18mm MDF construction, finished in satin black, with Gold terminal posts & brackets) - £70
    JL Audio 6.5" sub - £85
    Or JL Audio 8" sub - £150
    Alpine MRV-T505 - £90
    Wiring - £20
    Install £60
    This upgrade does make a considerable difference to the Bose setup, IMO it is the single best upgrade you can do for the biggest gain without losing boot space. I've done quite a few now, Bose & non Bose and everyone has said why couldn't Bose have done this as standard as it sounds so much better.
    PM Alonzo or Comdw on this forum as they were both installs I did on Bose systems. Or have a look under Bose sub upgrade (very long thread) where they both left feedback.