1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bored of the S3, time for something new.

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by SamiG, Mar 11, 2011.

1. SamiG

SamiG On Boost, ish.

[Mar 11, 2011]
    I've owned my S3 for a year now and having not really spent much money modding it i'm now very bored of it. Stage 1 map and yeah it's fairly nippy but i'm bored of driving a fast German armchair now.

I had a stripped out raw loud beast of a Civic before and the cars are worlds apart.

I miss that raw power that you only seem to get 'out of the box' from a Jap car.

I still need something big and fairly respectable due to work reasons and i was looking at B6 S4's but it's like driving a Sofa with a rocket on it.

So having always, always, always wanted an Evo, and now finally reaching 5years NCB i have got a fairly reasonable insurance price for one. To be honest the whole reason i bought the S3 was because i wanted something 4wd and turbocharged but i couldn't justify the £3.5k+ insurance costs of an Evo.

The S3 will probably stay for a while whilst i save a few more pennies and also need a few bits sorting bodywork wise then i'll get it up for sale.

I think it's safe to say it's never really been what i wanted it to be and all round i'm a tad dissapointed with it.

Still, an Evo VIII MR360 should feed my needs :eyebrows:
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. S3 Rav

S3 Rav Well-Known Member

[Mar 11, 2011]
    Good luck with the evo mate.
  4. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

[Mar 11, 2011]
    wont be wanting a clutch then
  5. SamiG

SamiG On Boost, ish.

6. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 11, 2011]
    Evo8 and S3 running costs are worlds apart also mate, but yes, an Evo is a much better drive than any tweaked S3, you will not think about build quality or the price of super unleaded when you step on the loud pedal! :racer:
  7. finesse

finesse Active Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 11, 2011]
    still whining about the S3?

next
  8. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Mar 11, 2011]
    I was the same as you evo or s3, went in an evo, stupidly fast, but raw as fook...i certainly could not live with that everyday , honestly,totaly different animals and should not be compared..The plasticky dash was a turn off too creaking like hell
  9. SamiG

SamiG On Boost, ish.

[Mar 12, 2011]
    Yeah still whining haha!

I just haven't ever felt 100% happy with it..

It's the 'rawness' that i miss. My Civic was a loud, bumpy poorly built Jap motor and you're right, the second you stick your foot down your just grinning ear to ear. The S3's performance has never manged to even crack a smile on my face. ******* amazing build quality and reliability is second to none but i guess it just doesn't do it for me personally.

I want to get a few niggly bits done before i sell it so that it's in immaculate condition for the new owner so i'm sure i'll still have it for a fair few months to be honest.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  10. Jacko4130

Jacko4130 Goodie Gum Drops

[Mar 12, 2011]
    I'm going the same way been looking for a non chav like WRX STI though, keeping the S3 as well as my daily/girlfriends car. Love my S3 but want a little bit more grunt and ease of making 400BHP
  11. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

[Mar 12, 2011]
    I'm waiting till I've got a pot to piss in and buy a clio sport to strip out and tweek. Is never sell the s3 though, its just too good of an everyday car that shifts a fair bit.
    But when I'm feeling like a loony, the clio should satisfy that!
  12. SamiG

SamiG On Boost, ish.

[Mar 12, 2011]
    Haha yeah to be honest, if i had my own place i'd have an Audi for a dailey work car and have another stripped out lairy Civic sat on the drive to abuse on the weekends, thing is for me at the moment i don't have the room for 2 cars so i kinda have to kill two birds with one stone by getting a car that's practical size wise and i can turn up to customers houses in but that also satisfies my speed fixes when i need them :)
  13. ayfreetee

ayfreetee Member

[Mar 12, 2011]
    French, yuck!!!
  14. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Rrrrrrrr-tech

[Mar 12, 2011]
    Good luck with the Evo, I nearly bought one but the missus told me she wouldn't get in it as she'd feel like a chav! But, for those days when rawness is required I have one of these (well two at the mo ;) )

[​IMG]

I've driven lots of cars but in terms of pure driver involvement, nothing compares.
  15. SamiG

SamiG On Boost, ish.

16. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Rrrrrrrr-tech

[Mar 12, 2011]
    It's a 1.6, I've had 1.9's but the engines are too lazy for me, the 1.6's just love to rev :)
  17. Ian_83

Ian_83 Member

[Mar 13, 2011]
    It's a shame you need something big, because if you want grin factor, a boosted MX5 is heaps of fun. They are fast and handle awesome.
  18. DJ_Troopa

DJ_Troopa K1 Driver

[Mar 13, 2011]
    I want an Evo 8 next year too :) I'm kinda swaying towards a blob eye Scoob UK 300 PPP. Not an STI as they won't insure me until i'm 25. My bro had a classic STI V5 Scooby doing 330bhp. I miss that thing :( I defo need an Evo or Scooby in my life next me thinks!!