Boot stuck shut :(

Grant_H

Reaction score
Hi all,

Car is A4 B5 1999 2.5 TDi

Central locking failed (pump whirring but no pressure).

Just found out my key doesn't work in the boot lock barrel.

Bulkhead behind rear seats (non-foldable)

Can't fill up now as locked filler cap hatch and can't get to emergency release in the boot.

Is there an emergency release for the boot, or a way to manually force air pressure through the central locking system to hopefully release the boot lock?

Cheers.

Grant

Hmm; broom handle through the rear bulkhead? Could this be possible? If so I have no qualms about cutting a small hole...

Is there a safety lever inside the boot for in case someone gets locked inside?

You sure the key doesn't work in the barrel? Only reason I ask is that I disconnected my battery recently for some work and needed something from my boot. It took ages to even get my key in, and then a load of wiggling about to get it to open, but eventually it did.

I'm guessing that since its never used It just gets full or gunk.

Is it a facelift or PFL? I'm guessing a PFL given the symptoms.

If its PFL the keys sorta weird, turn it one way and it unlocks, but it doesnt give you any positive indication that its unlocked, and you then have to press the button to open the bootlid. The barrels also sieze up, so you might have to pump it full of oil and work at it to get it freed off.

If its a facelift, it'll pop when you turn the key.

Theres no "safety device" inside the boot, you'd have to remove the trim from the inside of the bootlid, and then pull the mechanism.

You might be able to find one of the joints in the vacuum system, and pull a vacuum (or pressure, i cant remember which way unlocks) on the pipe until the bootlid unlocks? I think theres a joint under the rear bench seat, the pipe runs down the drivers side C pillar. One pipe goes direct to the drivers door, the other pipes split up and feed everything else, including the bootlid.

All fixed! We modified the bulkhead to create a ski sock aperture through the centre arm rest, and unlocked the boot from the inside :)

Just needs tidying up now and will be good as new!

Thanks all :D

Sorted! I now have a Ski Sock mod for the armrest ;)

220320141244 1