1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boot lid

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by mattdsc, Mar 4, 2010.

1. mattdsc

mattdsc Member

[Mar 4, 2010]
    Random question, but when I close my boot its kind of slams shut in an un Audi like close. There is a vibration noise that comes from somewhere when it shuts.

Could it be the struts? I was advised that the car had a bike rack used on the car, so could it be the weight of that over time?

I know its not really a big issue, but I like the car to be as perfect as possible and would like to sort it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. I'mRonBurgundy?

I'mRonBurgundy? Lets make that kitten purr...

[Mar 4, 2010]
    Mine doesn't shut with the same refined thud as the doors either. Always sounds like the parcel shelf's got caught too.

I've just always put it down to bad acoustic tuning, or lack of it really.
  4. mattdsc

mattdsc Member

[Mar 4, 2010]
    Yeah thats what its like. Like the parcel shelf got stuck in the way....a very plasticy slam.
  5. Pii

Pii Member

[Mar 4, 2010]
    Mine sound more clumsy than any other car I have had!!!

In fact I think the actual doors are kinda harsher than most cars. No problem, just expected something more refined I suppose..
  6. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

[Mar 5, 2010]
    My boot sounds ***** too. Doors aren't too bad...
  7. 4NT

4NT Terminal Douche Bag!

[Mar 5, 2010]
    I think it's an A3 thing! process of illimination, check the number plate's not loose, take parcel shelf out and check it closing without it, try and tap around on the lid trim see if it's loose also. If it's had a bike rack and been under extra stress how about new lifters?

Frustrating to have non Audi clatter!!!! :weight_lift2:
  8. Sarah's A3

Sarah's A3 MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 5, 2010]
    Mine sounds the same!!! Like poor quality unlike the doors! Feels heavy too and slams shut when it lowers! Odd, maybe they ran out of money when the designers got to the rear lol
  9. mattdsc

mattdsc Member

[Mar 5, 2010]
    Mad! Thanks for all of you comments. I am strangely pleased that its not just me but dissapointed that its like that. I had a MK5 R32 around 18 months back and it really did sound 'finished' when you closed the boot or closed the doors. The S3 just sounds like a my old Renault did!!
  10. Lee_R

Lee_R Active Member

[Mar 5, 2010]
    mine sounds like a bag bolts when it closes, i blame it on the wiper, it seems to jump!

Sportbacks are a lot nicer to close than the 3 door
  11. Pii

Pii Member

[Mar 5, 2010]
    Yes I know exactly what you mean. My friend's R32 just sounds like 'proper' rather than doors being slammed! Though I was the only anal person but evidentally everyone else has that on the bad of their minds also lol.
  12. pu6486

pu6486 New Member

[Mar 7, 2010]
    I seem to have been a little unlucky with my BE sportback as it had several faults from new (they're now sorted, though am waiting for the next one to rear its head!). When I took it back to the dealer to demonstrate these faults I mentioned the noise that the boot made when shut. The chief technician just looked at me and said that that's what it's supposed to sound like. Am not entirely happy with this from a so-called premium manufacturer; it leaves a lot to be desired.