Boot lid problem/accident

AshL

Love my S3!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I went into my garage with my boot open and I panicked when I heard it hit the garage door and rolled back not knowing it was hooked and I’ve bent it back and it now doesn’t sit flush with the body.

The boot locks fine but is totally out of place.

Any ideas on what I’ve broken and what I can do to fix it or what will need replacing?

Cheers,

Ash

B0EA0580 BA4E 450F 9646 113EF6E82AA4 BA1CDA10 68E9 494E B388 E57F788ADE63 F4829068 B2DC 4378 ADF8 D2EF235E1C40 A88BE745 DB16 4298 916B 6948467B01AC DBCF167A 5967 45F8 9CE4 D3EAB1593482

OOps

Check the hinges. That’s the only place where it is joined. Could have just shifted. Or maybe you bent something in there.

OOps

Check the hinges. That’s the only place where it is joined. Could have just shifted. Or maybe you bent something in there.

I know right :(

The hinges look ok but I don’t know how they should look so I’m not sure.

Could it be something really bad and hard to get to?

I’m praying it’s an easyish/cheapish fix.

View attachment 140681 Not sure if these pictures of mine will help.View attachment 140680

Thanks for the pictures. Here are a couple of mine I just took.

B51B4377 616A 4F36 AEF1 440002F9264D 95135D87 9E58 441F BC91 D70B9C3EC5BC

It’s hard to tell though. If only I had a spare hinge to compare.

Are those two red bolts the only thing I could loosen to see if they moved out of place?

If they’re bent I guess there’s no hope of realigning it anyway without new hinges?

Could the area where the hinge bolts to the body of the car inside the roof maybe have been bent? Of course I can't exert the amount of force on the hinges that they may have gone through but they look pretty strong.

Check the gas struts too. Are they straight??

That's a good idea I haven't actually checked them yet. I'll disconnect them and see how it shuts.

Thanks for that man. I've actually just picked up some new hinges from Audi today so fingers crossed they fix it!

I guess the hinges from Audi will come unpainted? Hope you get it sorted. Keep us posted.

I guess the hinges from Audi will come unpainted? Hope you get it sorted. Keep us posted.

Yh man they came unpainted. I fitted them with my dad but it still sits wonky. The original hinges don't like bent or different in any way to the new ones.

The spoiler is still higher than the roofline and the whole boot lid is sitting further to the left. We tried adjusting the alignment where the hinges are attached to the body and the lid but nothing seems to work.

There doesn't seem to be and stress marks or bends in the metal that the hinges attach to on the body and the lid that we can make out.

We took out the spacer that goes between the boot lid and the hinge which has brought the spoiler down the most but it's still above the roofline, and there are still uneven spaces between the boot lid and the surrounding body work.

So I think I'm going to have to get it to a body shop and see if they can sort it :(

I'll update when I find out more.

Put the old hinges back on, open the bootlid, weld the hinges together, drive into the same garage door except go forward this time :D
Then, replace welded hinges for the new ones you got :)

Reactions: IPG
My spoiler doesnt sit flush with my roof. So if urs looks like that pick then it should be the way its meant to be.View attachment 141329

Thanks for the picture man, I took a few pictures of mine yesterday:

9FC2D51C 3111 4315 86C5 8BFD7B9078DC 4A4F871E F76F 41DB A378 EA29C151E597

It looks like similar spacing as yours but bear in mind I have removed the spacers between the hinge and the boot lid to bring it down.

And here’s a picture of the gap around the right light cluster and the right side of the glass:

4FAE9ED3 95FB 4BA6 8FEF 81444EE47DB8 2CB24C55 5CF0 4075 A7A4 B80ACB1DFBB4

The boot lid is closer to the left side than the right.

Put the old hinges back on, open the bootlid, weld the hinges together, drive into the same garage door except go forward this time :D
Then, replace welded hinges for the new ones you got :)

Ahaha! I know you’re joking but I guess it would have to have the mounting positions bent back into place, which is pushing me away from fixing it for now as that would probably cost a bomb and at least it still shuts and seals fine.

Just looks wonky :(