Boot jammed shut! Help Please!

Zonda_

Reaction score
I can't get the boot open on my 97 A3, it opened fine yesterday and I've never had a problem, I can here the lock opening and closing but it won't release.

Help!

push on it really hard to make sure its PROPERLY closed, should able to open it then! i had a similar thing happen on my old a3

Tried both, you can here it unlocking through the central locking but when you squeeze the paddles either side of the lock nothing happens.

Ok. Have you tried applying some weight to the boot lid (careful where you push down) while trying to open it?

I am not sure if its possible to get to the boot internals from inside the car with the lid shut. Have you looked for access to the lock this way?

It certainly doesn't seem to be, I spent an hour in the boot yesterday, I've undone every hex bolt I can see but as you say, the plastic trim panels are still being held in place by things that you can't see until the boot it open. I'm at a loss, it looks like a big garage bill to get it sorted.

You might be able to get a terminal screw driver (from the inside the boot) to the lock bit it's self and move the slider/claw manually. Makes sure it is in the unlock position first.

I had similar problem once, I ended up having to destroy the plastic trim inside the boot to gain access. Holes saws and hack saw blades.... wasn't nice but it works. Then popped up scappy to find a new lock mech and new plastic trim.

I'm not saying do that, but unfortunately that is the last resort.

It certainly doesn't seem to be, I spent an hour in the boot yesterday, I've undone every hex bolt I can see but as you say, the plastic trim panels are still being held in place by things that you can't see until the boot it open. I'm at a loss, it looks like a big garage bill to get it sorted.
There are just two philips head screws that im pretty sure you can still get at from inside the car with the boot shut. (they are at the bottom left as you look inside the car) After you've undone those, the trim is just held on by plugs (in a 4 x 2 grid form the lower and around the outside on the upper trim) which just require force to pull off.

Sounds like the latch it self, you should be able to move it by hand. Maybe leave the plastic trim off and re close it from the inside.

It moves easy enough with a screw driver, I can see the linkage moving when I operate the paddles on the outside. No matter how hard I shut the boot it won't latch but moves perfectly freely otherwise.

It moves easy enough with a screw driver, I can see the linkage moving when I operate the paddles on the outside. No matter how hard I shut the boot it won't latch but moves perfectly freely otherwise.

Mine wouldn't latch. Look at the two rubber bumpers on the end of the boot. I tightened them in a few turns and it locked fine.

I'm pretty sure there were some on mine. Could be on the car as opposed to the boot. Like here above the light in the left of the picture
scaleW93.jpg

Is the problem now the boot wont stay shut?