boot catch

Reaction score
Hi all

has anyone had trouble with the boot catch?

Sometimes it wont shut, but thats rare. Generally, while driving the warning light comes on saying the boot is open.
However the boot is well and truly shut. But when this happens, also the light in the boot comes on, and you also cant always lock the car until you open and shut it.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Common problem. Try some spray lube into the lock - if that doesn't work then it's probably the micro switch in the lock itself. Lube worked for me - so far. Mike

Last edited:
Ditto.

I have problems shutting mine sometimes. If I close it gently its fine. If you slam it it bounces out. I replaced the solenoid but that hasn't helped. I Need a new boot lock..

Sounds the micro switch breaking down.

Can you guys adjust your boot latch?
Would that help?

I'm on my 2nd boot latch, my micro switches keep going. I've given up and unplugged it.

Pretty sure this problem runs across the board too, mine's terrible and so is my friends A3 8L.

Had this problem on my Golf GTI. Changed the micro switch which didn't solve it. It turned out the wires running between the boot and car were split!

So a new catch prob won't cure it? Generally its just the light coming on and the dash display warning you. But the boot is shut. But when I arrive at my destination, I have to open and shut the boot or else the light stays on and sometimes the car won't lock.
So if I take the latch out, unplug the micro switch, the boot still locks? Central locking etc?

Saying that- this morning, the boot actually came open while driving. So if this happens a lot I guess its new latch time.