1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boot catch problem

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by DavidW, Jul 26, 2009.

1. DavidW

DavidW Member

Just been out to the car to get something out of the boot and now it wont catch. The electronic mechanism is working when I press the key but the metal claw in the catch wont stay down, even if I push it down with manually with the boot open. Any suggestions?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. HTC

HTC Active Member

This happened to me a while back. I removed the unit to check the mechanism within. Part of it had rusted. After some manual effort moving the peices and some lubrication it has been fine.

4. Sanj

Sanj Blue Beast

This also happened to me when i bought my car, i sprayed a load of wd40 on mine and it loosened up.

5. s3 Hoggy

s3 Hoggy Whats going on???

If the latch still plays up it's just as easy to get a whole new latch unit, the microswitch in mine went and would show on the display that the boot was open when it was actualy closed. The whole new part was only £28 for my car and a easy job as I managed it!

6. DavidW

DavidW Member

Seems to be fixed for now. Took it in bits and the two plastic parts inside weren't working together to hold the latch in place. A bit of messing with a screwdriver and some WD has solved it. If it returns I'll probably just replace the actual latch section.

7. s3 Hoggy

s3 Hoggy Whats going on???

The part number for the new boot latch on my car is: 8p3 827 505 hope that helps if anybody else has the same problem.
    Cheers Matt