1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boost Leak - Pipe Help

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Nilz, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

[Oct 13, 2010]
    Wandering if anyone can help please...

I seem to have a boost leak and it looks like it is on the pipe under the inlet manifold, if you look at the pic below, you will see the pipe at the bottom on the left hand side, thats where it is.

[​IMG]

What I want to know is, is it just one little pipe, or do I have to get the whole unit, also if it is just the pipe, does anyone know what size I would need to get to replace it with a silicon one, finally, would it be advisable just to cut it back a bit and push it on with a little jubilee clip??

I believe the part number is 06A-133-789

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
    Nilz
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 26, 2014]

3. talentwalsh

talentwalsh Member

[Oct 13, 2010]
    Its part of the notorious PCV system. The PCV removes and recirculates oil and gas vapor from the crankcase and rocker cover and sends them back into the system to be reburned for emission control. Its a complete nightmare of a system for breaking down over time. You could prob do a bodge job by trimming it back but more than likely the whole pipe is corroded.
    Ya you can replace it with a silicone jobbie but im not too sure of the dia needed, possibly a 5mm ID. Its best to look at the whole system while you are at it, especially anything made of plastic, as you may be in for a shock as to the extent of the degrading, I know I was.
  4. Nilz

[Oct 14, 2010]
    I have checked the rest of the system and its all looking good, to be honest it looks like a lot of the pipes have already been replaced with silicon.

So when you say the whole pipe, do you mean from the bottom pipe, far left, upto the silver clamp on the pipe above, is that one pipe in itself??
  5. talentwalsh

talentwalsh Member

[Oct 14, 2010]
    No the pipes are different, you will just need to replace the small section thats gone up to the one way valve (the round plastic thing before the junction). Each pipe is an individual piece, which is handy for replacement.
  6. Nilz

[Oct 14, 2010]
    Thanks mate, reading up, it looks like it is sold as one unit, but I will call Audi in the morning and see if they do that pipe on its own, if not I have some silicone pipe which I will make fit, just another question, will 5mm silicone with jubilee clips be ok??
  7. talentwalsh

talentwalsh Member

[Oct 15, 2010]
    You should be def be able to replace just the section needed with a silicone tube, typical audi out to make a buck. Im not sure of the size of tube needed to replace it but just take the OE off and measure it, go to forge or some other reputable manufacturer and buy the length required.

Its best to use a stainless jubilee to make sure the connection is tight. better safe than bad idle.
  8. Lee172

Lee172 GT3071

[Oct 15, 2010]
    I believe its 8/10mm u need.
  9. Nilz

[Oct 15, 2010]
    Audi said its the whole unit you need to buy for £58, so ive put some pipeson to cover the previous splits as.a temporary measure,it seems alot better, but im still gatteing some juddering, so may just get the full silicone kit.

Can anyone recommend one?
  10. talentwalsh

talentwalsh Member

[Oct 15, 2010]
    Forge seem to be be one of the only people that do bespoke kits for the S3 but I dont think they do the section your looking for. Just buy a good length of silicone vac hose and replace as much of the system as possible. You can find loads of different suppliers on ebay, I think it comes in about 1.5 metre lenghts and its pretty cheap!
  11. Nilz

[Oct 15, 2010]
    Nice one mate thanks for your help again.
  12. talentwalsh

talentwalsh Member

[Oct 15, 2010]
    No Bother, hope you get it sorted
  13. Nilz

[Oct 15, 2010]
    Right found that the u bend had a split in it and nearly all the hoses were split just at the connecting point of the hose, so will order a U bend from Forge in the week and some 8mm Silicone hosing from Ebay during the week, think 1.5 metre will be more than enough to cover the piping in the pic above.

Got some decent jubilee clips already, so will disconnect and reconnect the lot hopefully this week some time.

I will let you know how it goes....hopefully this will sort it!!
  14. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

[Oct 15, 2010]
    the forge parts are great, Sadly i think a bit of the plastic pipe itself has a slight split on mine. While you at it check the oneway valves for functionality, i foud mine to be sticky, especially the one that goes inside of the rubber tee down the bottom, got all full of sludge and wouldnt fully shut off, which is basically a boost leak.
  15. Nilz

[Oct 15, 2010]
    Cheers dude, how do I check the one way valve, what do i need to do to check and clear it??
  16. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

[Oct 16, 2010]
    just blow down it with compressed air and wd40 or something similar.
  17. Nilz

[Oct 16, 2010]
    Ahh ok cool, cheers for that,ill be sure to do that too.