Boost gauge - using Torque/Android or DashCommand/iOS

Nogmeister

Reaction score
So, my mate has advised me to get a boost gauge wired up in Noggy, always good to know whats going on. Then I go see another mate with a mk4 Golf 1.8t who is a bit of a VAG freak, and he plugs in this bluetooth OBDII adaptor, sets his Samsung galaxy on the dash, and shows me this rather cool Torque app.

All good, except Im an Apple fan, and Torque isnt on the Appstore, with no plans to release it in the future. I have found this other app called DashCommand, but it is £35. And then there is buying the OBDII bluetooth sender.

So im mulling over which app (torque or dashcommand), which platform (android or iOS), which device (phone or tablet) and stand alone or a full on dash build, hardwired in.

There is also the option of a double din headunit which allows the use of Apple apps like the Pioneer AVH-8400BT, which would be the most OEM looking IMHO

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Ive seen those but dont like the idea of chopping up a vent.

Think im gonna go with Dashcommand on iphone with OBDII bluetooth sender, I get an ipad from work soon so could use that as well. May upgrade to the Pioneer double din unit in the future though, as funds allow...

Do any of the OBD2 bluetooth senders work with dashcommand ? Or does it need to be a specific make etc ? the reason I ask is you can get bluetooth senders for like £11 on ebay but not sure if you MUST buy a specific one for the App and it doesnt really explain that even on the full website.

Non of these bit of software (Liquid included) are a substitute for a decent boost gauge IMO... I have Liquid and Torque as well as a mechanical boost gauge... both have a place and are very useful but both bits of software only measure as much as the MAP sensor sees (Liquid has an AGU mode that reads higher and vacuum but not tested its accuracy as yet) so you won't see that 26psi spike if you get it... Torque via a bluetooth OBD dongle is laggy too...

If you want a boost gauge then buy one... simples... the other stuff is complimentary in my experience..

<tuffty/>

Non of these bit of software (Liquid included) are a substitute for a decent boost gauge IMO... I have Liquid and Torque as well as a mechanical boost gauge... both have a place and are very useful but both bits of software only measure as much as the MAP sensor sees (Liquid has an AGU mode that reads higher and vacuum but not tested its accuracy as yet) so you won't see that 26psi spike if you get it... Torque via a bluetooth OBD dongle is laggy too...

If you want a boost gauge then buy one... simples... the other stuff is complimentary in my experience..

<tuffty/>

Already got good quality mechanical gauges, I just want a gadget LOL :)

Fair one Tuffty mate, I'm new to this turbo game. What mechanical gauge do people recommend? I'd like something that lights up the same red as the dash I think. And then theres where it goes....??