1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boost Gauge Question

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by NineNails, Sep 14, 2011.

1. NineNails

NineNails Proud sponsor of the snack food industry

[Sep 14, 2011]
    Evenin all
    Ok so I finally got round to fitting the boost gauge (not done oil pressure yet) but I'm not sure if it works ok or if there's a problem with the motor. The gauge reads just off the bottom of the dial at idle and off throttle at 30 inHG and goes up to about 11 psi when I boot it in 3rd but the needle waggles about between 9 to 11 psi whilst being booted. I think I'm missing a couple of psi but the gauge may not be that accurate I suppose. Is the vac reading ok or should it not be as much as this?
    Thanks for any info ;)
    Si.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. Jason.s

Jason.s Active Member

[Sep 14, 2011]
    11 sounds about right for a non mapped 180bhp engine to be honest on peak boost. Vac a lot of peoples seem to vary to be honest.
  4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Sep 14, 2011]
    to cure the wiggling you can try putting a restrictor in the feed line to the gauge.
  5. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

[Sep 14, 2011]
    ^ What he said.
  6. Bradderz_1988

Bradderz_1988 Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

[Sep 14, 2011]
    On idle mine sits at 20inhg on overrun it's at 22inhg, and will boost to around 14psi but some times due to load will see 10-12psi and mine sticks at 10 with a tiny bit of needle wobble but doesn't go to nine unless I'm really running out of revs, and my t-piece has the brass restrictor on it to you may have a tiny leak if your vac is on 30inhg but as Jason says many peoples vary.
  7. NineNails

NineNails Proud sponsor of the snack food industry

[Sep 15, 2011]
    Thanks for the replies. It has a restrictor in the tee piece but I might try putting one in closer to the gauge. Bradderz, I don't think I have any leaks to the gauge but if I did surely it would read less as I would be loosing vac?? It's a shame it has such high vac pressure as it makes the gauge look a bit pants sat there with it's needle off the bottom of the dial. I was just seeing anyone else had this or if maybe the gauge was faulty but as it seems to read boost correctly then I suppose I must assume it works ok... Oh well
    Cheers