1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boost gauge plumbing

Markb Aug 11, 2004

  1. HTC

    HTC Active Member

    3,428
    9
    38
    There is a guy on the US ebay that does them for £32+shipping (about 10 days).

    They are very good quality gauges.

    If anyone knows a UK supplier for autometer gauges, then that might be easier, but shipping shouldn't be too much.
     
  2. leespears1

    leespears1 Member

    261
    4
    16
    where are you mountin the guage in the dash!
     
  3. Add7

    Add7 Member

    310
    0
    16
    OH YEAH IT LOOKS GOOD. DOES IT HAVE AN ORANGE LIGHT TO MATCH THE DASH?
     
  4. HTC

    HTC Active Member

    3,428
    9
    38
    I'm pretty sure you can select a rubber boot that fits over the bulb to give you the colour you need.

    I'm gonna check before I buy. I'll let you know.
     
  5. Add7

    Add7 Member

    310
    0
    16
    cheers
     
  6. nervus

    nervus Well-Known Member

    1,370
    120
    63
    That looks cool, maybe we could buy 3 of these and share shipping or something?
     
  7. Add7

    Add7 Member

    310
    0
    16
    yeah good idea?
     
  8. Markb

    Markb Active Member

    2,139
    2
    36
    I finally got around to installing mine, but the bulb in the gauge isn't bright enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif you can only just see it at night. Any ideas on what bulb to try in it?

    Oh yeah the boost gauge is custom made by Smiths to go with the dash colours and I've moulded and covered the pod into the pillar to look factory finish. Also I have wired the light to my dash lights so it dims.

    Here are some pics:

    Light

    [​IMG]


    Dark

    [​IMG]

    You can just see it circled.


    I will get pics of where I have plumbed in if anyone wants?
     
  9. Add7

    Add7 Member

    310
    0
    16
    Dont mean to sound insulting. but are you sure you have connected it to the dimmer properly?

    Have you tried it without it being connected to the dimmer?
     
  10. Markb

    Markb Active Member

    2,139
    2
    36
    [ QUOTE ]
    Audi A3 1.8TS said:
    Dont mean to sound insulting. but are you sure you have connected it to the dimmer properly?

    Have you tried it without it being connected to the dimmer?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Yeah it dims with the dash so I know that works.

    Also I am now using a 5W bulb instead of a 2.5W bulb. So I don't know what to try next.
     
  11. nervus

    nervus Well-Known Member

    1,370
    120
    63
    That gauge looks cool, can you post details of where to but them from. Is it too bright undimmed (make sense?) if not i wouldnt bother dimming it!

    Maybe you can fit a replacement dash bulb to the gauge or at least find out their rating to try and match it! Also how come your instrument needles are red? did you change them?
     
  12. RichA3Turbo

    RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

    5,089
    5
    38
    [ QUOTE ]
    nervus said:
    That gauge looks cool, can you post details of where to but them from. Is it too bright undimmed (make sense?) if not i wouldnt bother dimming it!

    Maybe you can fit a replacement dash bulb to the gauge or at least find out their rating to try and match it! Also how come your instrument needles are red? did you change them?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    prefacelift needles were red not white.

    Rich
     
  13. HTC

    HTC Active Member

    3,428
    9
    38
    [ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said:
    prefacelift needles were red not white.

    Rich

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Which is why I've gone for the Autometer unit.

    I got an email from the guy in the states. Its gonna be about £40 with shipping, which is a good price I thought. Especially from the USA.
     
  14. Add7

    Add7 Member

    310
    0
    16
    that is a good price. but im gonna have to give it a miss! untill a later date.

    My insurance is due this month!

    £1113 Fully Comp

    That aint bad seeing i have 1 years no claim and im 20!!

    :)
     
  15. nervus

    nervus Well-Known Member

    1,370
    120
    63
    Markb's Gauge would suit my instruments better as my needles are white, anyone know where he got it?
     
  16. HTC

    HTC Active Member

    3,428
    9
    38
    Send him a PM.
     
  17. PaulRS3

    PaulRS3 Well-Known Member

    1,211
    143
    63
    ive seem one on Ebay before .
    Im sure it was a "Smiths" boost guage

    no clue who retails them..
     
  18. Markb

    Markb Active Member

    2,139
    2
    36
    [ QUOTE ]
    nervus said:
    That gauge looks cool, can you post details of where to but them from. Is it too bright undimmed (make sense?) if not i wouldnt bother dimming it!

    Maybe you can fit a replacement dash bulb to the gauge or at least find out their rating to try and match it! Also how come your instrument needles are red? did you change them?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    No it's the other way round. It's too dim on un dimmed! (Not bright enough)

    As stated this is now the needles are in my car.
     
  19. Markb

    Markb Active Member

    2,139
    2
    36
    [ QUOTE ]
    nervus said:
    Markb's Gauge would suit my instruments better as my needles are white, anyone know where he got it?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    It's a Smiths gauge, but it was made as a one off to go with the dash /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
     
  20. nervus

    nervus Well-Known Member

    1,370
    120
    63
    [ QUOTE ]
    Markb said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    nervus said:
    Markb's Gauge would suit my instruments better as my needles are white, anyone know where he got it?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    It's a Smiths gauge, but it was made as a one off to go with the dash /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

    [/ QUOTE ]

    One-off? well i think it would suit my dash better as my neddles are in fact white, so sell it to me and you get a new custom one with red needles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
     

Share This Page