1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boost gauge installed

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Tommy1finger, May 8, 2007.

1. Tommy1finger

Tommy1finger Member

[May 8, 2007]
    Finally a boostgauge option is available for the A3 that actually looks good:icon_thumright: It's a fairly cheap, yet usable mod, specially for those of us with chiptuning.

http://www.newsouthperformance.com/pod014.htm

I am very happy with it, the quality of the plastic is good and the texture is very close to oem. The price was $89.00 plus installation wich took over an hour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 28, 2014]

3. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

[May 8, 2007]
    I'm sorry but that is the most hideous thing I've ever seen and has no place in an A3 imo :)
  4. Tommy1finger

Tommy1finger Member

[May 8, 2007]
    There aren't too many places where an additional gauge could be fitted in the A3 interior, the other option is the kit that installs in one of the vents. From my seating position it only blocks part of the tachometer past the redline.
  5. steve184

steve184 Active Member

[May 8, 2007]
    That does look truly awful.
  6. newbiecrg

newbiecrg windsurfer

[May 9, 2007]
    Don't like it as well but The S3 could have a boost gauge... it would be nice..

Pedro
  7. mcmasman

mcmasman Member

[May 9, 2007]
    I actually thought it looks quite ok, although I have no mean to install one.

Have to appreciate your effort for a post thou.
  8. Hatmeow Sportback

Hatmeow Sportback New Member

[May 9, 2007]
    Sorry man, great effort but truly ugly... Do you guys know if anyone makes one of those a pillar guage housings for the A3?? would really like a boost guage for my car as well....
  9. Hotscar

Hotscar Four Wheel Drifting

[May 9, 2007]
    Why???????????
  10. benw123

benw123 Moderator

[May 9, 2007]
    Sorry not a fan either; it's just totally out of place on a premium hatchback like the A3. Plus you'll be missing some of the DIS instructions with the RNS-E!
  11. mcmasman

mcmasman Member

[May 9, 2007]
    Not to hijack this thread, but I notice on the pictures the aluminum air vents are different (TT vents) than the ones in europe (Tommy1figner is in Portland, USA). Is this something he changed himself or is that standard US specs for A3?

I've read from soemwhere before that you can't get the aluminum rings alone, you have to buy the whole console from TT ...don't remeber the cost but i remeber it was absolutley ridiculous price for some aluminum rings.

Anyone knows if this is still correct?
  12. Boydie

Boydie Guest

[May 9, 2007]
    not bad tommy - as long as it displays the info that you want and need who cares where its postioned or what people think!

the airvents are in and around £250 for the set i think but im not 100%

as for the guage pods - you could easily make one yourself with a small mdf ring and some fibreglass/isopon and cover it in matching alacantra

shouldnt cost that much to get done by a professional ICE bodyshop or the likes
  13. S3DBW

S3DBW Member

[May 9, 2007]
    I have a vent guage installed in my S3 and met with the same protests of why it wasn't necessary and how it would devalue the car etc. As Boydie says if you are happy with the end results go for it. Nice to see an alternative fitting.

regards
  14. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

[May 9, 2007]
    Don't get me wrong, he's more than entitled to fit whatever he likes to his car and I'd defend his right to do so. Similarly, I have the right to voice my opinion of it :)
  15. RobinA3

RobinA3 Well-Known Member

[May 9, 2007]
    Man that gauge looks ****!

Total respect for getting it fitted but in a car like an A3 it just looks too out of place, in a Saxo or Nova it would look super but not in an A3.

Just a quick question though, what kinda boost figures are you getting at WOT?
  16. Tommy1finger

Tommy1finger Member

[May 9, 2007]
    Perhaps the pictures don't do justice, it really doesn't look that bad. Knowing how much you are boosting is a useful information, specially if you are tracking your car like myself. With APR stage 1 program the highest I've seen it was 20psi.

My interior is stock, the car is an early 2006 model with the sports package....
  17. mikep

mikep Member

[May 10, 2007]
    and the point of it is.........

apart from looking butt ugly....

It takes all sorts I suppose but I've always been puzzled by guys wanting a guage to tell them something that should be bloomin' obvious, I file this under the 'as much use as a diesel dump valve' category.
  18. Boydie

Boydie Guest

[May 10, 2007]
    what?? a boost gauge is very useful - for someone with a remapped/chip/tuned car who tracks it, its almost essential!

the driver wants to know how much boost he is running while on track or whatever - plus, if he can alter the boost (like a boost controller) he can see accurately what level s/he is at!
  19. Tommy1finger

Tommy1finger Member

[May 10, 2007]
    I needed to have a boost gauge, if any of you can suggest me a better location without cutting the dash or permanently altering the car, by all means please do. The current setup is fully functional, highly visible, affordable, good quality and it can be removed without a trace. Newsouth performance is a highly reputable company, serving the VAG community for many years.

Here is another setup, perhaps it does look better, but how the hell is that functional?

http://homepage.mac.com/risowu/OSIR/TT_HEADLIGHT_HOME.html
  20. sat1983

sat1983 Member

[May 10, 2007]
    You lot are a tad harsh. It aint meant to look nice as such is it! If the guy needs it, which he clearly does, good enough for me.
  21. Tommy1finger

Tommy1finger Member

[May 10, 2007]
    This is great, I do appreciate everyone's honesty on here instead of saying it looks great while thinking just the opposite. :icon_thumright:

It's easy to be critical, how about coming up with a solution? Where else could a boost gauge be installed tastefully, functionally, without altering the car permanently?
  22. S3DBW

S3DBW Member

[May 10, 2007]
    At the risk of being slagged of again by the "what use is a boost gauge brigade" here is another alternative

[​IMG]

Click the image for full size clearer picture
  23. Macduff

Macduff Member

[May 10, 2007]
    Well that looks just as stuck on as the first one.

Best option would be something on the DIS display but obviously that may not be possible.
  24. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[May 10, 2007]
    Why is it that A3s seem to be attracting rhe chav crowd of late?

First it was those shiiiite rear lights, now boost gauges? wtf? Don't forget to get those nice blue led washer jets as well!
  25. d3fy

d3fy Active Member

[May 10, 2007]
    oh I like the blue washer jet lights.... :sadlike::sadlike:
  26. Hotscar

[May 10, 2007]
    Bloody snobs...bring on the blue washer jets, can we have a group discount...
  27. Boydie

Boydie Guest

[May 10, 2007]
    snob is right - for goodness sake where's all your creativity and originality?

if there was no such thing as modification then we would all be driving boring A3's or is that why people on here list their optional extra's in their signature to show the not so better off members of this site how snobby they are??

and once again the word "chav" has been wrongly used once again on this forum - no doubt related to members like me who like to modify their car!

chav is however blue washer jets, blue bulbs, massive silly bodykit and spoiler, tunes pumping and burberry hat hanging off the back of their head sporting an earring or ratty looking expression on their face!
  28. aiculedtzu

aiculedtzu under pressure

[May 11, 2007]
    I agree, a boost gauge is a good thing to have (espeacialy if the car is tuned), but it does look awful in both cases. :rolleyes:
  29. Hotscar

[May 11, 2007]
    According to your signature that makes you an eighth of the way there!

Come on, don’t deny it, you know you like to ‘pump’ those tunes out on your show winning ICE.
  30. Boydie

Boydie Guest

[May 11, 2007]
    ok, do you want a picture up of my A3 beside a chaved up corsa or saxo?

i certainly dont have any of the above items lol my bodykit is the factory votex/vortex kit that many on here have and i have changed the suspension and my rims as a lot of people have done so on here so i fail to see your point of me being an eighth of a chav :S

there are a select few on this site that appreciate subtle modifications and change - i wouldnt waste money on tacky mods

and to be truthfully honest, i dont "pump" my system at all, my system is all about SQ and not SPL - when im in town or in traffic my music is turned down as not to disturb other people as i know what impression that gives off
  31. S3quatt

S3quatt Flat Oot like a ducks Foot

[May 17, 2007]
    Well the opinion of most guys on other forums is that a boost guage is a must on any tuned turbo motor. Keeps you informed on how it's behaving...

I admit there must be a better way of mounting them tho. Maybe a pillar mount? If it was done right...

Also has anyone seen an Imprezza 22b? I could have sworn that they had a column mount as standard but with a guage around 30mm accross instead of the usual 52mm. Am i right or did i dream it?
    :lazy:
  32. Hatmeow Sportback

Hatmeow Sportback New Member

[May 18, 2007]
  33. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[May 18, 2007]
    still looks $hit to me.
  34. steve184

steve184 Active Member

[May 18, 2007]
    you woudn't spend money on tacky ****? you already have done that boost guage is the 'meaning' of tacky.... jeez go and buy a VXR/ST and fulfil your chav dream!
  35. Boydie

Boydie Guest

[May 18, 2007]
    why do you think an A3 or audis for that matter is a car for snob's??
  36. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[May 18, 2007]
    Hardly, it's only a ~£23k car so hardly worth being a snob about. I just hate to see a decent looking car have cheap **** stapled to it.
  37. KeepItTidy

KeepItTidy Member

[Jun 29, 2009]
    Im looking at Installing a boost guage, I would love to see if the car is boosting to what it should (since the remap) and also it would be an INSTANT tell if something is not working properly. That is reason enough to warrant me getting one. and if you dont need one. Good for you, save the money.

As far as the install's go, im not to phased about how it looks. As long as its out of the way and easily removable for when im ready to sell the car. Im the one who has to be happy with it. Screw who ever else doesnt like it.

Both the installs in this thread are neat!But Personally wouldnt do the vent install beacuse I love my airon! :p