1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boost gauge install

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by voteforpedro, May 28, 2010.

1. voteforpedro

voteforpedro Member

Want to install it tomorrow in the right-most centre vent. Where's the best place to feed the vacuum line to the engine bay and where's the best place to take power from? It's a pre-facelift so I don't have illuminated vents.

Chaaaaaaaaaaaaars.
  2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

Get your power from the stereo harness.

To route the pipe you can jsut make a small hole in the side of the heater ducting, and then remove the drivers knee bolster and route it safely round avoiding the moving parts such as the steering column, then out thru the electrical box into the engine bay.
  3. Blue_Thunder

Blue_Thunder Active Member

Not sure if it's the same on your car, but on my S4 I routed the line through the ECU box into the engine bay, making a small cut in the rubber grommet which the engine loom goes through. Obviously you will also need to drill a hole into the moulding which holds the vent. I also drilled a couple of smaller holes and fed a zip tie through the base to hold the wires/vac line in place, otherwise the weight of the gauge would cause the vent to point downwards. If you are after a quick MacGuyver fix, you could discreetly wedge some black electrical tape underneath the vent to hold it in position.

Mine is also pre-facelift. I connected the illumination to the 12V switched terminal under the steering wheel. You may want to add an inline variable resistor to dim the illumination a bit depending on your gauge. I find my Omori gauge much brighter than my other dash instruments.
  4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

I got the illumination feed for my oil pressure guage from the fag lighter.

I dont like the idea of messing with the ignition barrel wiring, its all very high current and often not fused.
  5. voteforpedro

voteforpedro Member