Boost gauge and holder

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first of all Happy Easter to everyone. I'd like to fit a boost gauge to my S3, but wanted to keep it discreet and tasteful bt mounting it on the pillar of the car. However after searching around i'm finding it hard to locate a gauge holder for the S3 for this purpose. I've found the gauges that are located behind the heater vents, but these are not to my taste and are also a tad expensive. Is there anyone that has carried out this mod themselves that could point me in the right direction of where to buy a pod to fit. Id prefer one specific for model as don't want an ill fitting universal spec. Thanks a lot for any replies and pics would be great. Steve:blackrs4:

im also after an a -pillar mount for my boost gauge as mine is currently in a track day mount on the dash board.

think you will find it near impossible to find one, i had to use a universal one and custom trim it down but im not happy with it so im going to start again next month after pay day.

Thats real dissapointing news, i really don't want to go down the route of modifying a universal mount as it will never be perfect. Oh well the quest continues. Cheers for the replys. If anyone knows a place to get one then mail me please

Have exhausted all avenues of search looking for an a pillar gauge holder. Ive tryed all companys such as Jabba, awesome, tt shop, osiro (who do some nice holders for the mk5 golf, TT , and 8P S3.) Nomad, demon tweaks and various aftermarket companys. I did however come across this a pillar holder for the A3, but its only available for LHD:mad: From a U.K company!!

http://modworld.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=24_564_563_3384_3385&osCsid=727418a641b4702b7ea95eb1bddd6ac1

After ringing RGM who manufacture the gauges and asking them if they make them for RHD they said they didn't as there is no demand and only make them for export. So close!!!!!
I did say that on audi forums people where clearly after a pillar gauge holders oh well. If anyone else wants to ring up and ask about them so they eventually change there mind contact RGM on 01525 853888.

I know you didn't want to, but its not too diffucult to fabricate. I used a MK4 golf upper steering column pod, but there are easier ones to start out with.

Boost_Gauge_600x450_001.jpg

Boost_Gauge_600x450_002.jpg

Boost_Gauge_600x450_003.jpg

Boost_Gauge_600x450_004.jpg

Boost_Gauge_600x450_005.jpg

Boost_Gauge_600x450_006.jpg

Not the best covering, probably should re do it at some point.

htc could you make me one id pay obviously im impressed with it.

I too wanted a pillar mount, but decided that no universal one would look good.

Instead of modifying a uni one, I found a length of pipe that housed the gauge nicely, and went about making it that way!

I sunk the tube into the pillar quite a way, so it sticks out as little as possible, and looks fairly minimal and OEM.

I fibreglassed the tube onto the pillar, using a plastic bag layered up with fibreglass to smooth the pod back into the pillar then smoothed it off with filler, applying coats of black paint to get a good finish. I then covered it with an A3 head lining I stole from a scrappy :)

gallery_168_26_61326.jpg

gallery_168_26_114878.jpg
gallery_168_26_31770.jpg
gallery_168_26_35534.jpg
gallery_168_26_47454.jpg
gallery_168_26_77325.jpg
gallery_168_26_76032.jpg
gallery_168_26_64635.jpg

The road angel wires and dodgy phone holder are now long gone, replaced with a hard wire cable and a parrot bluetooth kit!

I know the gauge itself is cheap, but its great to have, and makes me feel strangely childish grinning as I watch it go from -20 to +22 in about a second!

All in all, about 4 hours work total. Well worth it.

looks smart as well if anyone would make me one for my 2001 facelift s3 let me know with price's i could get it fitted myself.

to be honest, without sounding rude, I doubt you will find anyone who will make one for you.

It was a ******* of a job, and would have to be done in spare time.

Even at £10 a hour, which sounds steep, it would be £40 at least to do a good job. Which is less than most people earn at work..... So working the spare time for a small bit of cash isnt all that inviting!

That said, you may find some kind soul :)

Good job prawn. Nice work covering it too. The glue soaked through on mine a bit, which niggles me.
Worst bit was picking all the damn foam off the head lining material. I had a fuzz away on it for ages. Still got a few bumps in there.

I tried a small patch and decided that removing the foam was too risky! so left mine on.

due to the tighter curves of my pod, I wasnt able to cover it in a single sheet of fabric like you did, so what i did was to glue a small section over the gauge pod itself then cut a hole in the main fabric and stretched it over the pod. It worked out really well, as i ended up with a fairly perfect seam around the pod itself, which I think looks OK.

You can't really tell it's still foam backed unless you prod it and notice it's nice and soft, compared to the hard finish on the other one!

I have had one in my s3 for the last couple of years now.I could nt fnd one either and then looked else were i think you will find if you look four a seat leon pod r/h/d you wont have any troble getting one and the fit straight in.Hope this helps
ste

Can anybody shead any light on where to get the vent mounted guages from??? awe do 1 for an s4 (with matching red back light) but no s3 :(

you will need to make one yourself like i did as nobody does them for the A3/S3

'S3 ROCKS' You say youve seen guages that fit in the heater vents???

Sorry to hijack the thread......Scott, are they your new brakes in your avatar?? They look the dogs mate:icon_thumright:

Back to the original thread...Halfords/Ripspeed do a universal one that looks ok.

Good job Jaywoo!! looks smart. And thanx scoobyra.. I bought the s3 with gt3 calipers with r32 disks.... Pic at mo is of my old s3.. i miss my 19" rial wheels :(

i made a 2 pod mount like prawn and HTC but i just can't find any S3 headlining materiel to recover it lloks pants atm but would look alot better if covered will see if i have some pics.

Im really impressed with some of the ingenius a pillars people have made. Prawn, yours looks totally OEM and compliments the car nicely. Brilliant work. Ste S3 you mention the seat leon a pillar gauge fits the S3. I have heard this but havent tracked anyone down that has actually fitted one. Have you fitted one or know of anyone that has done so? Would love to know. To reply to Scott the gauges that fit in the heater vents are made by OSIR DESIGNS i spotted them for a TT at TT shop. Although any ive seen on sites have been self fabricated.:respekt:

Steve, Just replied to your PM, and came here to read the thread.

If you have an S3, the seat Leon pillar mount will fit perfectly, and the black headlining version should match the S3 head lining perfectly too!

Kevin; where did you get the chrome rings on your dials? They look great.

iv been looking for a pillar mount for ages now and iv only come across LHD. Im hopeless at making stuff is well.
Could i make one out of a universal one and retrim it? Or i have an A3 2001 do we share the same pillar as a Golfmk4 or the Leon?

Nice work on the mounts by the way u guys looks top

here is one that my mate made for me, was flocked in the wrong colour but you get the jist of it,

DSCI0018.jpg

DSCI0017.jpg

looks good but not too sure on the colour ,does he want to make me a twin pod one for cash pleeeeaassee:whistle2:

whats awful with that? its a simple install, with the gauge right in front of you, and the installation will not leave any traces..

are you looking at the same thread Keem........... that looks awful.....maybe in a different colour with less gauges.... but then that will be a different item?

no no, i knew which holder you were talking about...... on the awesome GTI website.

it may do, but it will look AWFUL beyond belief.....

Dont even think about it mate.

i agree it will look poo!
do the same as prawn i copied him but getting hold of some headlining from an S3 is nightmare!

how much headlining would you need there is a smashed up s3 in my local scrapy could pos sort something out