1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BOOST - Alloy (Hard Pipe) vs Silicone Hoses (Conventional)

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by ShaunS3, Apr 21, 2014.

1. ShaunS3

ShaunS3 Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is any benefit to converting my S3 to a complete alloy hard pipe boost system with silicone joiners?

From what i can gather, it allows a consistently smooth flow and does not expand/retract like silicone hosing does.

I know its not going to give me any major power increases but will aid in 'safer' power when remapped to stage 2 i hope?

Thoughts please? :)

Shaun.
  2. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

I think it's for less silicon joins, therefore reducing the amount of chance for boost leaks.
  3. ShaunS3

Less boost leaks is always a plus point :)
  4. ShaunS3

Would it aid better spool up due to eliminating the expanding of silicone hoses?

Removing restrictions on charge pipe also giving smoother flow?
  5. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

Most silicone is 5 ply, you ain't gonna be blowing it up like a balloon anytime soon.

as jo said tho,that's the major plus point
    ShaunS3 likes this.
  6. ShaunS3

I've got a complete SFS silicone hose kit on mine, both boost and coolant. However, wondered if hard piping offered any performance benefits in terms of smoother flow and safer power.....obviously less boost leaks :)

The idea all started from this:

Trackslag K03 k03s K04 downpipe Golf mk2 mk3 Corrado Ibiza 2,3 Royal Purple
  7. ShaunS3

Anyone? :)
  8. vroomtshh

vroomtshh Active Member

I've got a 5 ply hose onto my throttle body, and it fairly expands on the dyno
  9. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

The S3 charge pipe system is not too bad all things considered... biggest issues on the S3 (other than the SMIC's) is the dent in the top charge pipe and the MAP sensor tube... if fitting a decent FMIC then you should be looking at using 63mm pipework for that anyway

Doing a full hard pipe system won't be cheap and return on investment is likely to be minimal on 300 ish hp levels of power... also remember that the flexi hoses are also there to allow for engine movement which when on std engine mounts is quite a bit... hard pipework will also need to be broken into sections to allow for fitment too and while this can be done using silicon joiners etc engine movement consideration needs to be factored in and don't get hung up of 'smoothed' flow as don't forget two bead rolled ends and a joiner will introduce an area to disrupt air flow to a degree...

I have changed all the pipework on mine to 63mm... I still have the silicon hose from the top pipe that goes off behind the passenger side headlight too but the only other joins are two joiners in and out of the FMIC and one on the TB... this did require the battery to be relocated of course...

I couldn't say for sure if there would be much benefit at typical K04 power levels... the key thing is not to go smaller than std (60mm in the case of the S3)

As an aside, many moons ago I would have said the likes of the AH v1 and Forge FMIC with 51mm outlets would be fine for stage 1 maps but tbh there is so much choice and alternative products available these days that I cannot see why anyone would want to downsize from 60mm to 51mm....

<tuffty/>
  10. ShaunS3

I already have an AH Fabs V2 cooler and the car is stage 2 ready.....raising funds for a custom map at B5 ;)

So general consensus is that it costs a fair bit to do and little gains are to be had on a 300bhp equipped car. But, if i am going to do it....upsize to 63mm which will need a battery relocation to boot?

I may just fit a trackslag charge pipe to get rid of the turbo elbow hose and the crushed OE pipework.

Thanks for your input again....muchos gracias! :)

Shaun.
  11. <tuffty/>

You don't have to relocate the battery to go 63mm I don't think... biggest issue will be getting the pipework between the battery and the headlight...

My first hardpipe run went up the inside of the chassis leg..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tbh I wasn't that happy with it so redid it all when I had the chance knowing I was relocating the battery anyway...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..and of course a hard pipe from the silicon top hose to the FMIC...
    [​IMG]

...and top pipe of course...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

<tuffty/>
    russwuss, StaceyS3 and Sam_ like this.
  12. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

Unliked just so I could re-like. Want to do the same for mine...
  13. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

You ever sell the TB side hard pipe tuffty?
  14. <tuffty/>

Yes mate... went ages ago, soz..

<tuffty/>
    Dani_B19 likes this.