Bonnet won't release...!

DJ-S3

Reaction score
Right, I've asked this somewhere before but I've asked about and no one knows how to get the bonnet open without the release mechanism in the drivers footwell. It's all connected down there but must go wrong under the bonnet.

Does anyone know how to get under the bonnet without using the release? My panel beater friend is out of options and now is saying he'll have to break the grill to get it open!!

Audi S3 8P 56plate.

Any kind of info would be much appreciated. Like if there's a joining part to the wire under bonnet? Or if its a whole wire to the catch?

Dom

If you can get an idea of the mechanism, you might be able to use a thin strong bit of metal to trigger the release by going through the grill or a wheelarch or something? Slimjim/lockpick style?

If you can get an idea of the mechanism, you might be able to use a thin strong bit of metal to trigger the release by going through the grill or a wheelarch or something? Slimjim/lockpick style?

Yeah, but as I can't get under the bonnet to see the mechanism it's a bit of a problem. Lol. Had the trim under the steering wheel off and pulled the bonnet release off and the wire is still intact. So something must of happened under the bonnet. Just can't get under to find out.

I'm going to drive through to Audi in the morning and see what the technician says (probably bring it in and I'll look at it for 50quid an hour!!!) then ring around a few garages and see if they've had the same problem. I can't be the only one to have had this happen to them....

I'm little confused, but I'm almost sure I advised you about this already?

The cable is in 2 parts, you need to reach up if possible to the right hand side & grab hold of the black cable, basically like a bicycle brake cable, may require a yank down & you may have to cut into it to get to the inner core, its a pita, if the cables come of the lock then its more than likely broken grill job.

Ahhh that's right I said try removing the drivers side wheel arch liner to get in above there, as the cable goes round above the headlight & I know you can into that area as mine are of atm.

Reactions: martinivw
I had this problem Audi said its the mechanism is designed so access can not be gained from inside....but if i took the car to them they would 'have a look'.
I spent many hours under the car tying to get in, in the end I rang the RAC, he fiddled with the cable whilst I pushed down on the bonnet and it opened.

I got into mine by getting the car on a lift, removing the undertray, dropping out the fan and intercooler then triggering the catch with a screwdriver. Absolute ball ache, but grills are too expensive to smash!

Reactions: martinivw
You did Nigel but I can't seem to get to it that way and don't have the slightest idea of where or what it looks like to grab hold of it.

Dropping the fan and intercooler would be alright but not sure how I would do that without removing the front bumper as the bumper goes under the car some 8inches...

Hmm, my bumper was definitely on. Was a 2008 8p2 s3.

The cable is in 2 parts, you need to reach up if possible to the right hand side & grab hold of the black cable, basically like a bicycle brake cable, may require a yank down & you may have to cut into it to get to the inner core, its a pita

I did this and it worked.
Used Pliers to hold the black cable then another one to pull the cable inside while someone pushed down on the bonnet.
Like above its quite hard and may take a couple of tries

Ok thanks everyone. And I apologies again but when he said destroying my grill I panicked :/

Imagine the front lock carrier curves round the shape of the front of bonnet, the cable basically follows that same route, if you need a rough idea of area to get to the cable.

This is an ongoing problem with both Golfs and A3's. Keep the mechanism well lubricated! It really does make a difference. Doesn't stop all the failures but seems to stop most of them.

Spoke to Audi today and the quoted £112 vat and labour included for fitting a new cable. That's with not being able to get under the bonnet as I told them my problem. Going to give it a go myself again though before I give in.

Spoke to Audi today and the quoted £112 vat and labour included for fitting a new cable. That's with not being able to get under the bonnet as I told them my problem. Going to give it a go myself again though before I give in.

PPFFFTTTT. Id tell them to nob off. £122 quid.

I'd pay them the £112 all day long. Or at least get a quote from an indie.

Remove intercooler, pull this, press that, cut this, yank that. And then put it all back together again?

Not me.

I sense a "Bonnet won't stay shut...!" thread coming. :laugh:

Reactions: NHN

Remove intercooler, pull this, press that, cut this, yank that. And then put it all back together again?

Not me.

Hahahaha. I hope not....

But that's what I was thinking. Try some other garages first and see what they say.

Not me.

Na coz they can use the VAG bonnet release tool then the special VAG fix bonnet release cable tool. They have it all planned out you see lol

£112 for no hassle, all day long, its a no brainer, just pay them & be done with it, pointless doing yourself tbh if they supply new parts & labour for that small cost, really is no brainer all day long.

£112 for no hassle, all day long, its a no brainer, just pay them & be done with it, pointless doing yourself tbh if they supply new parts & labour for that small cost, really is no brainer all day long.

oh I thought it was £122 then (Audi) labour on top. My bad

fullZZZZZZTVW041125074854PIC.jpg

Reactions: Ads
LMAO, brilliant photo lmao,, I wish your humour would be like a virus through this & other forums some days.

Reactions: wuta3
This picture would have been a good call aswell...

smiling-birthday-dog.jpg

Anyway, Dom give Volks Works a call in Leeds for a price, I've taken my A3 there for alsorts doing. Might be a bit too far away though depending on where you are in Wakey.

Looks like he's doing a shxt or stoned lmao

There is a way into the bonnet without damaging the car , I did mine today with hardly any hassle ,
Tools you need are
Two ramps
Three cable ties , one medium size and two small ones ( black preferably to match the housing )

Lift it up on ramps , and put your arm right up to the cable and grab it with your hand , and give it a good tug ,it's just to the left of your latch but u should be able to see it clearly enough if it has come off its bracket, ......

Your bonnet should now release

To fix it ,
Look over the rear of your bonnet catch now the bonnet is open and locate your cable
You will see that it has two slots on a bit of plastic attached to the cable , these both need resitting back in place
The first one goes on a small bar ( pics shown ) and needs two small cable ties to hold it back on its bracket
The second one needs a medium sized tie slid through the slot on the bracket before you push it home and pulled tight ( see pics )
This should now fix your bonnet release

Hope this helps anyone who has been having trouble finding a solution

My car is a 1.6 fsi s line , so getting clearance is not too bad but you should be able to navigate your hand through to the cable fairly easily,

Pics are to show how I did mine to show the two brackets and where it needs to be tied ..

also first pic shows the location of the bit that moves when you pull on the the release inside the car
It's really small and right down in there so trying to get to this is not the way to go as it's deep in the latch ,
The best way is to just pull on your your cable slightly to release the hood .

The

Attachments

• DSC_0342.JPG
    DSC_0342.JPG
    1,004.8 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0343.JPG
    DSC_0343.JPG
    707.9 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC_0344.JPG
    DSC_0344.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 140
  • DSC_0345.JPG