1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bonnet won't close, help please guys.

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by cossie, Aug 31, 2010.

1. cossie

cossie Member

As the title suggests im having great difficulty getting my bonnet to close. This happened a few months back but i got it shut after a few attempts but now its just taken about half an hour. The bonnet release catch inside the car is ok and going back into place (not open position) and i've sprayed wd40 on bonnet latch? and bonnet catch mechanism. I've also tried to adjust the little rubber gromets on the bonnet so they are shorter but dont know if these would affect it. Anyway i got it closed a few times but i gave the bonnet a pull up the way to make sure it wouldnt fly up whilst traveling at speed but it still kept popping up. Eventually got it closed but as i said it took half an hour and a lot of banging and swearing, not ideal. So can anyone help me with a fix i can do or has anyone else came across this problem, sorry for the ramble guys, cheers!
  2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

i'd imagine its the lock has siezed up or is gunked up with *****.

If you get someone to pull the release arm while you look at the mechanism, you should be able to see the linkage that moves over, Its probably not moving back to the "locked" position. Might be able to free it up if you apply some oil and work it back and forward.
  3. cossie

cossie Member

Cheers mate, I'll give that a go.
  4. Foxmeister

Foxmeister Fired Up!

As Aragorn said mate, few people have had the same problem.

Although the handle in the car returns back to postion, the mechanism under bonnet will be stuck open slightly due to lack of maintenance etc. Needs a clean out, then some new grease and worked a bit.
  5. cossie

cossie Member

Cool, thanks mate.