Bonnet closure problem

Graze

Reaction score
The bonnet on my 1998 A4 won't lock. When I drop the bonnet down to close it it fits flush but it doesn't lock shut and will open when lifted up without needing to pull out the plastic catch. The cable connected to the lever inside the car is not broken and the ball is still on the end of it where it comes into the bonnet catch assembly but it now has no effect on bonnet opening/closure. Any ideas what i can do to fix things?

i had this a few months back, the mechanism was all gunked up with black stuff. give it a good clean - i used a screw driver and then regrease properly

Wish I had this problem... mine's the ****** opposite... it won't open at all!

Many thanks to you all - i took the advice and gave the mechanism a jolly good going over with screwdriver - it had seized up. i then lubricated and now it's fine. i realise what happens - on my old Citroen BX i was opening the bonnet all the time but with this months go by 'cos it doesn't use any oil or water and what happens then is the mechanism seizes up and some poor ******* gives a good yank on the bonnet release cable and at worst it breaks. So condolences to those in this situation. I did have a read around earlier and apparently you can get at the mechanism by removing the grill but like most things Audi that's bound to be complicated.

On no you can't!

My grille is off and the rad is firmly in the way!

There's a solution of poking a long 'pokey thing' up the back of the rad, but with mine being so low I've got to take the bumper off to give me some more room.

Not got round to doing it yet though...!

Sorry to hear that - I thought it would turn out something like that- ie a big job - did the catch jam up through not opening the bonnet for a long time? Best of luck with the bumper.

Bumper off now, and tried to get arm up the back, but no luck undoing it yet. Think I need to get it elevated at the front so I can get underneath it.

What a fekkin' faff! Grrrrr! :laugh:

Just registered and thought I should add my comments as I just had this problem.

My 2000 A4 would pop to the safety latch but the bonnet release catch was seized.

To get the bonnet open I gently removed the chrome trim around the front grille. It has clips on the inner side so gently prize the outer egde with your fingers till it all comes away.

Then remove the front grille by pulling the top out. You may need to use a flat head screwdriver to help with this so use some card so as to not damage the bonnet. It will eventually pop out and the catches that hold it in shouldn't be damaged. If you see where the catches are you can push them down as you pull the grille forward, that might help.

The bottom of the grille does not pop out, you lift the grill up and out once the top comes free.

Then you can easily see up to the catch, spay it with WD40 or release agent and it will eventually loosen up.

Then just grease up the mechanism so it won't happen again.