1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bonnet Bra

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Ginger Prince, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Ginger Prince

Ginger Prince Member

All,

I know a lot (if not all) of you are going to say "don't do it," & "they're awful" etc (even I haven't made my mind up yet) re the look and effectiveness of bonnet bra's, but, I may decide to make a purchase.

Ive read that they can actually cause damage (rain/dirt getting underneath & scratching paint work) which does seem pointless buying it, however, although not very practical I could put it on/off on motorway journeys.

I spoke to a lad the other day who had one on a TT, cant remember the name of it but he said it was a high quality brand from the US which cost approx £300!! He did say that this particular company didnt stock S3 bra's as they dont have A3's over there....(I didnt know that)

I don't want some cheap and nasty item & have seen bra's going for as little as £50 on sites such as dubmonkeyz.co.uk, carbonnetbra.co.uk & jkautospares.co.uk etc.

Ive attached 2 pics, although the full frontal bra is the most practical I think its the most unsightly so Im after just the bonnet bra:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347076665.301820.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347076680.953926.jpg

Can any of you recommend any decent suppliers/brands please or if the above are adequate, durable, reputable.

Cheers,
    Mike / Audi S3 (8P)

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. audicruiser

audicruiser Audi Heaven

Audi paint is rock hard and very good quality so the need for a bra isn't there. If you want to fit one because you like the look then fair enough, but as you said they must cause damage when you put then on and remove them plus they move around on the paint due to vibrations and cause scratches....

Not aware of any good brands as I am not aware of anyone local to me that has actually used one apart from the T4 and T5 van brigade...

4. Pops848

Pops848 Member

Personally I would pay £300 for a front end respray rather than spend that on a bonnet bra. Each to their own when it comes to looks though. If you like it and want it go for it. I have been advised by others that wrapping the bonnet in clear vinyl prevents damage to paint caused by bonnet bra's so might be worth looking into that?

Zak0123 likes this.
  5. voorhees

voorhees Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Black Edition Team Brill Red

I contemplated one and thought won't you end up with a perfect front end and the rest is weathered/chipped ? also the stories of condensation and the bra getting contaminated and damaging the paint its meant to protect made me not bother.
    Cars are meant to be driven and stone chips give it character

6. Minstadave

Minstadave Member

Why not just take the bonnet off and drive without it? It will never get stoned chips and look equally retarded.

7. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator TeamMisano TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter quattro Audi S3 s tronic

I wouldnt put a bonnet bra on any car. Cars are meant to be driven, normal wear and tear are just part of everyday driving. By putting a bonnet bra on your car (providing they work) all you are doing is protecting the paintwork for the next person that owns the car. In short, you work hard to pay for your car, quit worrying about some stone chips and go enjoy driving it, that is after all what you bought it for. :) x

TonyH38 and Zak0123 like this.
  8. knoxie

knoxie K4OXE

i like the look of bonnet bra's, i know one of the small percentage on here!!

but after having one on my gti6 and having it make the paint seperate from the laquer and rust spots everywhere i wouldnt do it again

the above happened even though i kept to the three simple rules

if its wet take it off
    if the car or bra looks 'dusty' wash them
    always keep it tight and check tightness all the time

aslong as you are aware of the sideeffects these can cause id say go for it

knoxie

9. Ginger Prince

Ginger Prince Member

Wtf??!

I was starting to like the look, but, after reading the above saying damage was caused even when following the "three simple rules" I wont be investing!

Thank you
    Mike