Body work advice.

Hinesy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been round a few body shops today getting quotes for some cosmetic bodywork.

I've chosen the garage I'd like to use and seen some examples of there work on a couple of higher end vehicles.

The only thing that's bothering me slightly is the time frame. They've quoted to repaint the o/s rear door and o/s rear quarter, the rear bumper, n/s front wing, paint the n/s rub strips and do a face only repaint of all 4 alloys.

They have said they need my car for 2 days which to me doesn't seem like enough time to complete all that work. The last thing I want is a rush job. It's probably just me having no experience of the industry, can anyone in the know put my mind at rest regarding this.

Thanks in advance.

that does seem a short turnaround, some one in the trade would probably no better though. I've heard @Craig Cull does good work hopefully he can offer some advice

that does seem a short turnaround, some one in the trade would probably no better though. I've heard @Craig Cull does good work hopefully he can offer some advice
I've just been thinking maybe it is about right. Two guys, 1 day prep, 1 day in the booth?? Seems reasonable when you look at it like that. I'm just confusing myself now though. Best waiting for the pro's.

Thanks for the advice though. :happy:

Mine has just been in for the rear bumper at a very reputable bodyshop, the bumper alone was a 3 day turn around, although 2 days is achievable, but 2 days for all that work on yours sounds far to quick to me!!

Quick update. I've had email confirmation of the verbal quote I had today. It seems there has been some confusion as I was initially undecided on wether to have the wheels done or not. Turns out the 2 days is for the bodywork only. They would need the car a third day to do the wheels as well. Does this seem more reasonable?

For reference, I had a full front end (bumper, both wings, bonnet) and rear end (both rear quarters, boot and bumper) and the car was in for 5 days: dropped off on the Monday and collected at the end of the day Friday.

I think two days for the bodywork is quite quick, but if you've seen their work and you're happy with it then the decision is down to you. You ought to ask about the guarantee to go with the work. If they take offence or seem a little cagey with a response then I'd take that into consideration. I had a little issue only 3 weeks ago with a bit of the bodywork that was done: I went in, they looked at it, it was booked in and completed in 2 days no questions asked or cost involved.

I don't feel I've helped really. Let us know what you do either way. Good luck! :)

For reference, I had a full front end (bumper, both wings, bonnet) and rear end (both rear quarters, boot and bumper) and the car was in for 5 days: dropped off on the Monday and collected at the end of the day Friday.

I think two days for the bodywork is quite quick, but if you've seen their work and you're happy with it then the decision is down to you. You ought to ask about the guarantee to go with the work. If they take offence or seem a little cagey with a response then I'd take that into consideration. I had a little issue only 3 weeks ago with a bit of the bodywork that was done: I went in, they looked at it, it was booked in and completed in 2 days no questions asked or cost involved.

I don't feel I've helped really. Let us know what you do either way. Good luck! :)
Thanks for that mate. I have seen a few examples of their work, a full front end on a 13 plate merc which was flawless, and a set of Range Rover alloys they had just finished. They also do over flow work for a large chain/insurance bodyshop round the corner. I suppose I'll just bite the bullet and take it.