BMW M135i to S3 Saloon?

IanF S3

Reaction score
Hi guys I currently have a 5 door BMW M135i manual which I've had from new since April 2014, however since the arrival of my daughter I'm finding it a little small and need something a bit bigger so yesterday I went to my local Audi dealership and specced up an s3 saloon in Sepang blue with Comfort pack, optional 19inch wheels, B&O, privacy glass and the black styling pack. Managed to negotiate a 10% discount which basically made the payments the same as my bmw with 1k in from me (PCP) which I can't argue is a very good deal.
My issue is I liked everything about the Audi apart from the noise, coming from the 6 cylinder this was to be expected.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has made the swap and how there getting on or maybe some have swapped the other way? I really am unsure on what to do, any help and advice would be appreciated although I understand only I can make the decision at the end of the day! Can I have both?! :D
Here is my current BMW:

Oh and Here's one of my old S3 I had a couple of years ago:

Hi there. I am doing the same swap but to a Sportback at the end of March. Currently got a 3 door auto M135i. I am changing mainly for the extra doors and even though the BM is great, if I am going to change, I don't really want the same feel from a car.

I think it depends on what you ar after. It sounds like you will be using the car for a family, so not sure on the boot size of the saloon? I know the Sportback is a similar boot size to the M135i. This is worth checking fully.

The sound of the BM is nice, the interior and exterior of the audi styling better. The all round performance of the audi will be much better and safer to be fair. I have had some pretty scary moments in the BM even when not pushing too hard. Think in the summer the cars would be similar but in the winter the BM is a bit of a struggle. I got stuck once when I hailstoned, not even snow on a hill.

Insurance and tax less on the s3, economy similar.

S3 will turn more heads and looks more special.

Might be worth waiting for the 3 series to get its mid life lci facelift in 3 months then the pre lci will be dirt cheap and get a 335i / 335d x drive for cheap . Same noise but bigger car and 4wd and probably cheaper than your m135i....?

My friend just got a pre lci m135i ,delivery ready for 15 plate registration, for £259.99 +vat p/m with £1559.94 + vat deposit on 2 year lease with option to take it to 3 years.

You can get some great deals on pre facelift BMW's when they are ready to facelift them.

Sean

Hi, thanks for the reply, you are right about the BMW and the scary moments and my wife really doesn't enjoy driving it in anything other than the dry for this reason.
The boot on the saloon is actually a good size having tried all our stuff in there yesterday and with being freakishly tall I like the fact I am able to fit a fully grown adult behind me in the saloon comfortably, currently this is impossible.
For me it's just that engine in the BMW and whether I can live without it.

Might be worth waiting for the 3 series to get its mid life lci facelift in 3 months then the pre lci will be dirt cheap and get a 335i / 335d x drive for cheap . Same noise but bigger car and 4wd and probably cheaper than your m135i....?

My friend just got a pre lci m135i ,delivery ready for 15 plate registration, for £259.99 +vat p/m with £1559.94 + vat deposit on 2 year lease with option to take it to 3 years.

You can get some great deals on pre facelift BMW's when they are ready to facelift them.

Sean

If I do decide to get rid of my 1 series, I am reluctant to go for another BMW as that would be my 3rd in a row but it would mean I could keep that engine.
Decisions decisions.

I've gone from a V6 TT manual mk2 to an S3, my car arrives next week so will let you know how I feel about it. It's never going to have that same noise or sense of involvement as the 6cly however I've gone for S-Tronic this time on the 4 pot as the manual S3 I drove last year just didn't feel quite right to me, I think I was just used to my burly v6. Definitely come across to Audi, I've had 1 BMW and all my other cars have been VAG. Just love them!

I moved from a B8 S4 to the S3 SB. I came close to buying the M135i at the time but decided the audi was the better overall package. I also had the option of the B8.5 Rs 4 but fancied something different as its identical to the S4 on the inside. I wish I had gone with the RS. The S3 is a fine car but there's no real sense of occasion for me and I think that's down to the engine.

You can always record the noise of the BMW, create a CD and play it as you drive about in the S3. Simples.

Then you get the noise you like (although I do love the growl of my S3, no matter how its generated) and the better car to drive. So a win win.

Reactions: Liquidfusion-S3
I take it that you tried it in 'Dynamic'? Personally, I love the noise of the S3.

You can always record the noise of the BMW, create a CD and play it as you drive about in the S3. Simples.

Then you get the noise you like (although I do love the growl of my S3, no matter how its generated) and the better car to drive. So a win win.

The noise might be "Enhanced" in the S3 where as the M135i it's properly faked (but done well).

When I test drove an M135i last year the salesman turned down the sound effect through the iDrive. Sounded pretty ordinary without the sound pumped through the speakers.

The noise might be "Enhanced" in the S3 where as the M135i it's properly faked (but done well).

When I test drove an M135i last year the salesman turned down the sound effect through the iDrive. Sounded pretty ordinary without the sound pumped through the speakers.

Haha you're talking about cabin noise, yes it's fake and sounds pretty OTT to me.. But the noise I will miss is the noise you hear outside of the car from the engine and turbo on the M135i. I agree though the s3 sounds nice too and am sure it's going to be a better car.

I drove the 335d and that was very nice but no fun whatsoever. Mate has a 435i and that's nice.

I reckon you will be pleased with an S3 saloon and I have never seen one on the road too, so nice and rare. I live in Manchester too.

My S3 is loud in dynamic. It's actually bordering on anti social even under light throttle around town or anywhere the noise can echo. It certainly turns pedestrians heads which can make you feel a bit of a tool unintentionally.

Lots of people on the forum have been a bit disappointed with the S3 for the lack of noise - personally I think it makes all the right noises and it's loud enough!

Last edited:
Reactions: Louay
This video helped me to get over the thought of moving away from the m135i sound....

Videos do not do it justice.

You will be surprised once you get it how loud it can be after putting some miles on it (it gets louder past 1,500 miles or so).

Reactions: nickatkinson
Yeah I am sure you're right. I mentioned somewhere else on here that there is a TTS that drives past every night and it sounds quality..

Reactions: Pulp84
I went from a R32 Golf (sounded amazing) to a MK2 TTS (amazing car but sounded...well ok) to TT RS which was immense and sounded sublime to now an 8V S3, the car is "nice" and lovely to be in, bit soft on the suspension but the sound is what I miss (oh and the punch from 1600rpm from the 2.5L).

My mate has a 135iM and it looks a bit...well crap the interior is better than I expected although not really as good as S3 but the engine noise form the outside is much better. Even on cold start up it reminds me of the TTRS.

I find myself interested in the RS3 when it comes out already... although I don't like the SB shape so I am hoping for a Saloon version to come out!