BMW 318 interior vs Jimmeh!

Jimmeh

Reaction score
A very last minute booking saw me working on this BMW 318 compact. A nice break from the norm however, as this was an Interior only detail.

Product
• 303 aerospace protectant (UV protection for dash/plastics etc)
• AutoSmart G101 (all purpose cleaner)
• AutoSmart Bio Brisk (interior/upholstery cleaner)
• Warm water!

• Lots of microfibre cloths
• Meguiars triple action detail brush
• Meguiars Slide-lock brush
• Various detail brushes
• VAX 6131 wet ‘n dry hoover
• Vikan upholstery brush

I’m trying to think of more products.. but, honestly, I think that was it!

Anyway, here are a series of before pics.

DSC06904wd.jpg

DSC06905wd.jpg

DSC06907wd.jpg
DSC06908wd.jpg

Nice soiling on the passenger seat:

DSC06906wd.jpg

DSC06932wd.jpg

First job was to remove any clutter (..There was none!) and hoover.

In removing the floor mats though, I had to laugh. Look at the difference in the colour of the dirty and ‘clean’, carpet.

DSC06911wd.jpg

The mats had seen better days; made for a great turnaround though.

DSC06912wd.jpg

Ok, so.. Bio-Brisk was applied via spray bottle and the carpet pile was agitated with an upholstery brush. A couple of slow passes with water extraction were made closely followed by several more passes removing the water. A final scrub/dry was given with a MF.

A 50/50 on the passenger mat.

DSC06914wd.jpg

DSC06915wd.jpg
DSC06916wd.jpg

DSC06918wd.jpg

DSC06919wd.jpg

And here’s the collected water that was used for the front two mats alone:

DSC06925wd.jpg

Rear foot-wells were a bit dirty, too.

Before:

DSC06926wd.jpg

After:

DSC06928wd.jpg

Before:

DSC06927wd.jpg

After:

DSC06929wd.jpg

DSC06931wd.jpg

Again, a good wipe around was given with a clean microfibre to help remove any remaining residues.

Moving on to the seats now, a similar process was used as above but, extra care taken making sure the material didn’t get too wet.

More dirty water collected after the seats were vac’d.

DSC06935wd.jpg

(..You just don’t realise, do you?)

After all the ‘wet-work’ was complete, I equipped a few brushes and attacked the dash/centre-console and door cards.

50/50 attempts..

DSC06938wd.jpg

DSC06940wd.jpg

DSC06941wd.jpg

The lot was given another quick hoover out (as was the boot area) and the plastics were treated to 303 aerospace protectant.

Drivers foot-well before and after:

DSC06904wd.jpg

DSC06951wd.jpg

And a few final afters.

DSC06942wd.jpg

DSC06944wd.jpg

DSC06946wd.jpg
DSC06947wd.jpg

DSC06948wd.jpg

DSC06950wd.jpg

DSC06953wd.jpg

DSC06954wd.jpg

Spanking!!!!

Very pleased with the turnaround (especially the carpet work)

Work time four and a half hours.

Thanks for reading.

Jim.

Last edited:
Totally amazing mate. As always a pleasure to read. keep up the good work

Excellent job as always mate....

yes totally agree like the before and after pics, can i acheive similar results without a vax type vacuum? on the carpets

That is quite a change. Nice work!

Quick question regarding the door cards though, particularly the drivers door where scuffs tend to appear quite easily on the bottom section. How do you go about removing those without damaging the cards more?

yes totally agree like the before and after pics, can i acheive similar results without a vax type vacuum? on the carpets

Thanks ras :)

You'd do well to lift the engrained muck with a generic hoover - you need the extraction system to flush/suck the soiled areas ideally. You wouldn't be able to do the above with a Henry, but, a George (who is wet extraction compatible) would make light work of it i'm sure.

That is quite a change. Nice work!

Quick question regarding the door cards though, particularly the drivers door where scuffs tend to appear quite easily on the bottom section. How do you go about removing those without damaging the cards more?

:)

Sometimes you're lucky and the 'scuff' will wipe off with an APC (all purpose cleaner) and some slight agitation. However, often, it's going to have marked/damaged the plastic and there isn't a lot (that I know of..) you can do about it.

There are 'magic sponges' available that can in effect, flatten the area to reduce/remove the scuff. But, they're quite coarse and can often remove the 'textured' effect surrounding the area. *shrugs*

Not much help I'm afraid.

Thanks very much Jimmeh, looks like I'm gonna have to deal with the scuffs for a while :3sadwalk: Damn the previous owner with their big feet!

Take a look at my post history - there's a similar report on a Range Rover's interior I worked on - there were a couple of scuffs on the doorcard I put said 'magis sponge' to.. take a look and see what you think

Take a look at my post history - there's a similar report on a Range Rover's interior I worked on - there were a couple of scuffs on the doorcard I put said 'magis sponge' to.. take a look and see what you think

Thanks v. much for the help. Ive had a good look and it might well do the trick...sorry for the minor hijack!

Superb job there mate looks like a new pin now great pictures too.

What I find amazing is not only the fantastic results, but how fast they're achieved. No kidding, it would take me all day to getting my interior done, and it wouldn't be half as good.

Thanks Walter.

It's a good working time for an Interior only, put it that way. Hopefully, my friend comes back for full paint correction and exterior protection (he's currently buying a new house, so, wants to wait until he has a garage to keep it in!! :) )